Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!! >

Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!!

With record temps in upper 80's for the next 3 days I will not hunt, cool front moving on Fri, what can i expect?? I have been hunting acorns a lot but to no avail...I found tremendous amounts of acorns, but no deer activity in them....what am i doing wrong here, 18 yrs of hunting acorns with success and now nothing, not even a sighting!!???
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!!

I had acorns dropping all around me lastnight and all the deer I saw was in the cut corn field feeding.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

With record temps in upper 80's for the next 3 days I will not hunt, cool front moving on Fri, what can i expect?? I have been hunting acorns a lot but to no avail...I found tremendous amounts of acorns, but no deer activity in them....what am i doing wrong here, 18 yrs of hunting acorns with success and now nothing, not even a sighting!!???
I would be willing to bet your deer are not far away!

I had the same thing happen a few yrs back when i started looking for a little better sign.
I found a couple whiteoaks 150yrds away and the deer were just killing the acorns around them.
So i moved

Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

They're sure eating the acorns, here. But I've noticed they don't stay put, long. They're browsing through pretty rapidly.....seemingly because they're EVERYWHERE (acorns are).

Hard to pinpoint the most desired....but the white oaks would be a good start.

Gonna be 85 here, today. I'm still going out....but I'm going somewhere that I don't have to walk far to. Gonna cool off quick, though, this evening. So......I'll give it a go.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been warm here the past couple days, looks like you guys out East are getting it now. The wind is switching to the North here today- I'll definitely be out tonight.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I hear ya Landon. I hunted all last week and even then the temps were not in my favor. I wish I could hunt this weekend (temps in the 40's at night) but me and some friends aretaking the RVto Martinsville for the NASCAR race.

BTW, do you know where Peak Knob is in Pulaski? With the weather station and tower on top? Im asking because last time I was in Pulaski and climbed Peak Knob there were deer everywhere. It was summertime and the laurel was thick. Is it huntable?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM

I've had that happen too.... sitting there when it sounds like a hailstorm of acorns and no deer.......... until I found the white oaks.
I remember 100 or so years ago when my Dad taught me a way to remember which is which "Red man kills his animals with sharp points(pointing to the sharp points on a red oak leaf), White man kills his animals with a blunt bullet"(points to the rounded edges of a white oak leaf)
Then he talked me into tasting each of the acorns[:'(]... both bitter and nasty, but the white was the lesser of the two evils.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM

Im sitting in the white oaks or at least close to a white oak tree that is dropping....I rarely hunt red oaks...only if it's the only source of food around...what I have noticed is the deer eating more green leafy stuff than acorns for some reason... and that stuff is all over the woods!!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

I'm having the same issue...

I've got acorns everywhere, but the only deer I've seen eating 'em was the doe I shot opening day.

I'm wondering if the we need some colder temps to come in and kill of some of the green vegetation before they really start hitting the acorns hard?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 PM

Rookie that is exactly what I think...but I may be way off. Even in the mtsof Va where I usually see 10 to 15 deer per sit, I was only seeing 3 or 4 a day.... it's just so dang hot!!! plus this full moon is messing with them or me

Quick Reply: Will not hunt til Friday afternoon!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.