Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tree stand angle question >

tree stand angle question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand angle question

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Default tree stand angle question

thought I would post a question Ive been tossing around in my head and get some feedback. Last week I was up in my climber stand and took what I thought was a good shot on a doe. Turns out I hit a little low and had to follow the blood trail for quite a while. Got me thinking about shooting from treestands and the adjustments you have to make depending on how high up in the tree you are. Do you all aim higher or lower on the deer depending on how high in the tree you are? would i aim at the same spot at 15ft up as I would at 25ft up? Thanks for any input you all have.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: tree stand angle question

I aim at whatever spot I need to in order to place the path of my arrow thru the lungs and just over the top of the heart.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

think of where the heart and the lungs are, cuz thats where u wanna hit...if u are higher up, your aiming point on the deer will change at least somewhat...it would kinda be like when theyre quartering away, u have to adjust ur aim then too
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Aim for the exit hole.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think of the exit hole. If the shot is a really extreme downward angle, such as hunting on the side of a hill with a deer walking below me (treestand already 20 feet high, plus the deer being below me on a hill might put the deer almost 25-28 feet below me), I might aim just a little low. If the shot is an uphill shot, I am a little high. It has always seemed to work for me...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Think of the exit hole. If the shot is a really extreme downward angle, such as hunting on the side of a hill with a deer walking below me (treestand already 20 feet high, plus the deer being below me on a hill might put the deer almost 25-28 feet below me), I might aim just a little low. If the shot is an uphill shot, I am a little high. It has always seemed to work for me...
Whether your shooting an extremely downward OR upward shot you should always aim a bit lower. It doesnt seem to make sense to aim low when shooting uphill at first, but the laws of physics guarantee that its true.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fingerz--I have made extreme downward angle shots and I know holding low is good. I have made mild uphill shots (never an extreme uphill shot) and have aimed a little high(seems to be accurate).....is a mild uphill shot in the same boat as an extreme uphill shot in regards to holding low? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant really give you an answer that I can back with 100% integrity. I know for shooting with a gun that may be a farther shot, say 100 yards, and if you are shooting uphill or downhill, you are supposed to hold just a tad lower than you would if you were shooting level ground at 100 yards. I'm sure the angle does effect how much to comensate. You say you hold slightly high on a mild uphill shot, if it works dont change. But going on physics alone, whether its uphill or downhill you should compensate by holding a hair lower. In a bow situation you're looking at 30 yards and if its just mildly uphill I'd hold dead on. This "holding low" application is more geared towards an extreme angle uphill or downhill.
Since you've had experience shooting as you have and never had a problem apparently you did something right, so I wouldnt change a thing.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

General rule is, you will normally shoot high if you sight in from the ground. So I aim 1-3 inches lower depending on distance from stand to deer. Usually hits right where it needs to hit.