Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stand Question >

Tree Stand Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand Question

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Tree Stand Question

I am completely new to bowhunting, and will be climbing a tree stand for the first time this year. I have a few questions about them. First of all, should I get a climber or non-climber? I don'tknow much about the differences between the two. Second, which may sound very dumb, how do you use them? By that, I mean, how do you get and stay up in one? any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree Stand Question

This is a post that needs to be taken seriously as your life is at risk. Im not trying to scare you but its true and 99% of the folks on here that use treestands will agree with me. If this is your first year using a treestand, you need to go out with someone and see how the stands are hung. Get yourself a high quality stand, Gorilla, API, Rivers Edge, Hunters View make some excellent stands and all come with TMA Certified Full body harness with climbing aid/belt. I would recomend a good hang on stand your first coupl eyears untill you get used to being in a stand. Then work your way up to a climber. Follow assembly instructions to the max, read an understand your users guide word for word, if you have questions call the manufacturer of the stand you purchase. Never hang your stand alone, always have some there to spot you. Practice hanging your stand at ground level before attempting hanging in the woods. If you dont feel as if you are going to be comfortable using a hang on stand, look into a ladder stand. They are simple to assemble and most can be put up by yourself or with 1 extra person. Ladder stands are safer than hang ons and climbers but not as portable if youre moving from spot to spot or hunting public ground. If you have any further questions please dont feel bad for asking we are all here to help you out, we are a big happy family, aint that right Sweet Cheeks
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

This is a post that needs to be taken seriously as your life is at risk. Im not trying to scare you but its true and 99% of the folks on here that use treestands will agree with me. If this is your first year using a treestand, you need to go out with someone and see how the stands are hung. Get yourself a high quality stand, Gorilla, API, Rivers Edge, Hunters View make some excellent stands and all come with TMA Certified Full body harness with climbing aid/belt. I would recomend a good hang on stand your first coupl eyears untill you get used to being in a stand. Then work your way up to a climber. Follow assembly instructions to the max, read an understand your users guide word for word, if you have questions call the manufacturer of the stand you purchase. Never hang your stand alone, always have some there to spot you. Practice hanging your stand at ground level before attempting hanging in the woods. If you dont feel as if you are going to be comfortable using a hang on stand, look into a ladder stand. They are simple to assemble and most can be put up by yourself or with 1 extra person. Ladder stands are safer than hang ons and climbers but not as portable if youre moving from spot to spot or hunting public ground. If you have any further questions please dont feel bad for asking we are all here to help you out, we are a big happy family, aint that right Sweet Cheeks
Gospel right there! Very well put Wis. Can't stress it enough, USE THE HARNESS! if you are using a climber, practice with it before actually using it in the woods. Have somebody with you when you practice, so if something goes wrong, they can be of assistance. Try to find someone that uses one to assist you.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get one and practise many times before you use one. It takes a routine to go from vehicle to tree and back to vehicle, safe and soundless. Otherwise at the very least you'll be very wore out and there won't be much to shootat. You could do yourself harm as well.

Maybe you should just take6 monthsand read as much about them as possible, get onethen practise 6 monthsbefore you head out. Tons of post here and everywhere on their safe/use. Most falls occur because the user is negligent in in being prepared to use one. Get used to it before you operate oneIN THE DARK. In other words be able to use it blind folded.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Number 1 rule, wear a safety harness. Number 2, bring something to pee in!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Definatly use a harness. The best thing you can do at this point is get with some one you know and trust to guide you through the process of purchacing one and the proper use.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

since this is your first year i would if you can put it up and not worry about it get a ladder stand good luck and stay safe the climers do not seem to hard to use
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Hell buy my wife and I a plane ticket and I will come down and help you out. LOL
Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Wis bow hunter, and steelhead:

The only thing in your words of wisdom above that i would have to disagree with is that I think he should start with a climber. I feel that climbers are safer than hangons because most climbers have a bar around the front and most hangons do not. also a ladder stand with a bar in the front is a good idea. If a stand has a bar in the front in all honesty you have to try to fall out of that thing. It being your first time in a tree you will be safer and much more confident with it comes time to move around if you have a stand that has a bar around in front of you. oh yeah and WEAR A HARNESS!!! but dont worry the last 4 treestands that I have bought have come with harnesses.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

Wis bow hunter, and steelhead:

The only thing in your words of wisdom above that i would have to disagree with is that I think he should start with a climber. I feel that climbers are safer than hangons because most climbers have a bar around the front and most hangons do not. Oh yea...WEAR A HARNESS!!!!
Let me try this again. The first post didn't take due to "maintenance". I have to agree with Slo-Pitch...get a climber. I've never used a hanger because they just don't look safer than a climber for my big clumsy butt. I don't like the idea of having to climb small metal steps up a tree and stepping over into a hanging stand. Plus the fact they are small. I like the large stand that I can stand up in and stretch without feeling like I'm going to fall. I like the bar in front of me and I love the large seat that is set down below the side rails so I won't fall out. Granted...the climber (at least mine) is heavier than a clamp on but I can move around during the day if I wanted to without hassle. My climber might be noiser in the morning getting up the tree but that is why I get there an hour early and watch the woods around me wake up. You can't beat that.

Wishing I was up a tree.
Reid

I just received an e-mail with this link that might be helpful...

Different Tree stand options.
http://www.summitstands.com/Articles/TreestandOptions&CN=NLC-0907&att=article1

Picking the right tree stand for you.
http://www.summitstands.com/Articles/PickTheRightTreestand&CN=NLC-0907&att=article2

Quick Reply: Tree Stand Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.