Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT KIND OF BOW SHOULD I GET?

Old 03-21-2003, 10:55 PM

Default WHAT KIND OF BOW SHOULD I GET?

I am a fairly good begginer shooter, but I am looking for a new bow that is faster and more quiet. I am looking at a price range of 300-400. I want it to be more of an all around bow also. Do you have any suggestions? I was thinking about a new Hoyt. Can I please get your opinion on what bow I should get. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: WHAT KIND OF BOW SHOULD I GET?

There are lots of good bows out there in that price range. This is my personal opinion, but too many people look at the brand name of a bow first.

Umm, btw......notice my signature? lol
Old 03-22-2003, 02:38 AM

My first bow was a dual cam 1999 model Hoyt Magnatec Intruder 50 -60lbs. It was a great bow and I shot some great scores at some of the target shoots. It was very reliable and copped a floggin when I was hunting and seemed to handle it quite well. It was a very forgiving bow to shoot and I don' t think you' ll be dissapointed if you choose this option. You should check it out. I' m not saying it was the best but it was pretty good. I now shoot a Reflex Extreme 60-70lbs and it is excellant in all aspects as far as I' m concerned.
Good luck.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:06 AM

I' m fairly new to this too. I pulled my OLD Bear Kodiak compound out and wipped the dust off. Started shooting it again after 10 years.

My wife didn' t know I owned a bow and said she wanted one. Kewl!

Got on Ebay and bid on several bows for her, only to be out bid.
I finally figured out how to win on Ebay, and won a nice Golden Eagle Evolution, dual cam that was suppose to be 40-55#, for $126 + shipping. Came with hard case, quiver, release, arrows and all the cam chips for draw length adjustments. The owners manual and chips were still in their unopened plastic. It just wasn' t tuned properly.(I fixed that) Perfect for her. It came and it was 55-70#. No way was she going to pull it consistantly at 55#.

Best Ebay purchase yet! Because even though it wasn' t a lower pull as advertised, I now own it and I love it. It is MY bow! Golden Eagles must be a rare thing in these parts, as last weekend at my first 3D shoot, everyone made a comment about it, and several people shot it, on the static bag range. Even with it set up for me, more then one hit there mark with it on there first try.

My wife.. well, we are still looking. It is hard to find a used bow to fit her, and not cost an arm.

I say go to Ebay and look at the bows. You' ll find what your looking for. Don' t be too brand specific, they all have good, better, and best models. You just need to decide what fits into your budget. Just wait till the last 30 seconds of the auction and proxy bid!! Use 2 browser windows. One to reload and one ready to hit the final bid button!!!!

And guys, quit bidding so damn early on NO RESERVE items. If you will all wait till the last day or better yet the last minutes, we will all get what we need at a price lower then retail. I know there are several Ebayers here!!!

I have seen some things go way above retail, because of a bidding war. (Mathews Genesis!) Geeeez, you would think some research would be done before a bidding frenzy.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:30 AM

Check out some of the past threads. This topic has been discussed in the recent past on this message board with lots of good information.

The best advise I can give is to go to your local pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can. You will find a bow that feels right to you. Their are many quaility bows on the market, dont get caught up in hype, choose a bow that you are comfortable with.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Buckbuster. So do yourself a favor, and go to your local proshops, and anyplace that sells bows. Pick them up check them out. Shoot as many as you can. Whats good for every other archer, may not be right for you. Feel out as many as you can, get an idea of what you want then make a purchase. How you purchase that bow is up to you. I personnally got a mail order bow once, that looked good on paper. I never shot or even looked at this bow before. The bow was ok, I did so,so with it. But my next one I picked out exactly as I' m telling you.
I found the bow that I LIKED, and RIGHT FOR ME!

In a world of good bows, todays best is Champion!