Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another doe doges an arrow >

another doe doges an arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another doe doges an arrow

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another doe doges an arrow

^i agree completely. First of all, you need to practice shooting, period. if you dont have a range finder, yo need to set the target at one point and move around and shoot it at different unknown distances to develop a sense of range. Second of all, if you have missed 10 or more deer in 3 years, you need to stop and think, what am i doing wrong. your situation sounds dangerous and UNETHICAL. it is perfectly acceptable to miss or mess up a shot on occasion, and it happens to us all. i missed a chip shot last year with my hoyt at like 22 yards. it was just poor judgement and shot angle. but numerous, full misses, you have had to wound at least a couple of those deer a miss isnt a marginal error, it is a complete flop. If you are well prepared and shooting a good tuned bow, misses, should be rare. It should be highly more likely to make a marginal error in judgement i.e., a bad shot, or poorly placed shot.
If i were you i would limit myself to only certain shots, and take them as they come. you never have to shoot b/c the deer might not do what you want it to do. that is poor judgment and not good on your part as a hunter. Lastly i would say, read the sticky that matt/pa wrote on the buck fever thing. it is very good and maybe that will help you focus and calm your self more. Good luck to you, and hopefully you can take some of our advice and construct it into your success as a hunter.
Derek
Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Forget about a rangefinder. Limit yourself to 20 yards or less. It's either in range, or it's not, and only one pin to worry about. Put some markers out if you have to to show a 20 yard radius around your tree. I have killed more deer under 20 yards than past 20 yards and I have killed more thana few, so don't think you are severely limiting yourself that way. Once you punch one right, it all gets easier from there.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

Forget about a rangefinder. Limit yourself to 20 yards or less. It's either in range, or it's not, and only one pin to worry about. Put some markers out if you have to to show a 20 yard radius around your tree. I have killed more deer under 20 yards than past 20 yards and I have killed more thana few, so don't think you are severely limiting yourself that way. Once you punch one right, it all gets easier from there.
Good point there, take it slow and it will all come to ya. And once the first one falls its all downhill from there. Bill Winke wrote an article called "taking the edge off," its a heck of a good read for someone trying to tag their first deer.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just pace off 20 yards in each direction and hang a ribbon or make a mark on a tree. Once the deer enters your predefined area of 20 yards you should be good to go. Look for small limbs obstructing your shot in likely shooting lanes and remove them well ahead of time. Take your time and try to make a good shot. Good Luck.