Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new land question... >

new land question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new land question...

Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default new land question...

Follow up to my other post. So I've beenat the new piece I recentlygained access togetting dirty and figuring these critters out. Turns out better than we thought. He owns a lot more land than we thought. I managed to get 6 stands hung and trimmed the other day. I think I'm going to stick with that as well as a bunch of trees I was eyeing for my climber.

Anyway back to my question. We went and posted the heck out of the place yesterday. The land owner said me and my buddy have exclusive rights to hunt there and he has given permission to NOBODY else to be back there. So along the way we bump into a lot of stands. Probably 12-15 without even really looking for them. How would you recomend we handle this situation? Put a note on the stands? Take them down? Try to meet the people in the woods sometime? Hope the posted signs work? These guys have apparantly been hunting in there for awhile without permission. They probably won't be crazy about the new arrangements.[8D]
Old 10-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new land question...

I think leaving the note is the right start, that way you avoid any confrontation if they where not to Happy about it. I have been in your shoes, but I ran into someone on opening day, they where in a climber. He was really nice about it and understood. I hope your s are to. Chance are they wont be back till opening day. I would let the land owner know what you have found, and leave it up to him what he wants to do. DON'T for any reason take there stands and hope they will come to the land owner to get them back. Then your steeling in there eyes. You might take them down and leave them in the same spot with a note, but thats as far as I would go. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

I think leaving the note is the right start, that way you avoid any confrontation if they where not to Happy about it. I have been in your shoes, but I ran into someone on opening day, they where in a climber. He was really nice about it and understood. I hope your s are to. Chance are they wont be back till opening day. I would let the land owner know what you have found, and leave it up to him what he wants to do. DON'T for any reason take there stands and hope they will come to the land owner to get them back. Then your steeling in there eyes. You might take them down and leave them in the same spot with a note, but thats as far as I would go. Good Luck
What he said. Good luck on your new huntingproperty !!

Tim
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

I this happened tome about 10 years ago. Me and a buddyhunteda small property in Niagara County that my buddyhad permission from theowner. Without knowing, it got sold. One day while getting ready for the new season, we found a note on our trees explaining the land was bought and the contacts name and phone number. Inour situation, the new owner told us they did not want anybody hunting. Since then, I hook up with some old hunting buddies and never looked back.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that is a pile of stands to find! Can you tell if they were newly set? I am assuming they are fixed position stands with tree steps in the tree's.
If the land wasn't posted and these folks have been hunting there for years,I am sure they wont be very happy.
I would pull the stands and the steps and put them at the base of the tree with a note on them,put the note in a zip lock bag.The note would say some thing to the effect that you are sorry to disrupt their hunting but the land owner has decided to post his property and not extend permission to others to hunt it.You are sorry for any inconvenience created for them.
This way they are far less likely to hunt any of the stands or re-set them.It also shows that you are being respectful and havn't taken their property.
That would be my first step.