Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Land Question >

New Land Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Land Question

Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Land Question

My fiancee and I are purchasing some land. This will be our home (once we build) and hunting land. The land is heavily posted by the current owners. However, walking the property it appears that the neighbors are taking full advantage of the owners not living on the property. There are treestands everywhere. Some wooden built and some metal portable. If you were purchasing this land what would you do about the stands?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 AM

Default RE: New Land Question

put up new datedsigns. probably neighbors taking advantage of old owners. the stands will probably disapear, if not they come with the property
Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are there when you buy the land then they are your property as far as I am concerned. I would just remove all of them and see who comes to try to get them back. Then you can be nice and say you thought they were the old land owners and hopefully start a good relationship with your new neighbors.

That is all assuming that they are not the current land owners' stands of course.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

The current land owners don't hunt that I know of. I am pretty sure its the neighbors taking advantage of the land. Its a nice chunk 45.5 acres that is in the middle of some houses. Very easy for people to sneak on, especially when the owners are never there checking on it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Put up new posted signs about every 30 yards and go knocking on some neighbor doors. Introduce yourself as the new owner who would like stands gone or you'll take them down. Some neighbor knows who they belong to. Heck, the owner of the property might know who's they are. Set the ground rules early..... long before the season starts. I'd have them out of there by the end of spring. I'd do some snooping and patrolling and politely ask people to please not traspass. It's a small place and you bought it for your hunting pleasure.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you! Where in upstate NY? Just curious if I've met you before?

I ran into the same problem in PA on my property. I posted the property line every 30 yards or so, and in addition to this Iattached signs to the trees that the trespassers stands were in. Went back in 3 months with intentions of removing the stands and attaching notes with my contact info if they wanted them back, butall but the permanentstands were gone after that. I still have trespassers on the property, but not frequently at all and only in gun season. I'm probably going to have to prosecute a few of them to really get all trespassing stopped, hopefully by next year.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Put up new posted signs about every 30 yards and go knocking on some neighbor doors. Introduce yourself as the new owner who would like stands gone or you'll take them down. Some neighbor knows who they belong to. Heck, the owner of the property might know who's they are. Set the ground rules early..... long before the season starts. I'd have them out of there by the end of spring. I'd do some snooping and patrolling and politely ask people to please not traspass. It's a small place and you bought it for your hunting pleasure.
Some very good grey haired advice.Grey hairs often come from learning things the hard wayand makes them worth listening to that much more.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Rick James, I don't think I've ever met you but I am from just south of Albany about 10 miles or so. My hopefully to be property is out in Warners Lake. With the snow there is a ton of deer activity and I'm hoping to put a stop to the tresspassing as soon as we close. Nodog and Davidmil have a good idea. I want to stop the tresspassing without pissing people off.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

If you buy it, consider all those goodies as bonuses. Put up a few new signes and enjoy your new prizes.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Duramax05

Rick James, I don't think I've ever met you but I am from just south of Albany about 10 miles or so. My hopefully to be property is out in Warners Lake. With the snow there is a ton of deer activity and I'm hoping to put a stop to the tresspassing as soon as we close. Nodog and Davidmil have a good idea. I want to stop the tresspassing without pissing people off.
Dont worry about a tresspassers feelings. They are scum to start with. Pleasing them is like trying to grab a turd by the clean end. I take great pride in Pissing off tresspassers on my land, even to the point of blocking their escape until the law can get there. I have no use for a P.O.S. tresspasser.

Quick Reply: New Land Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.