Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public land question

Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Public land question

Well since I shot my doe on our land I haven't seen any deer. This has been a week now. I only have about 15 acres to hunt on here at the house. I found out there is a 365 acre section of public conservation land just 15 minutes away. I have never even seen this land but the website says it is 30 acres-old field/food plot site and 335 acres-forest land. Our rifle season ends on Tuesday so all I have to hunt is tomorrowand Tuesday. Heres the bad part,
1) I need to work till around noon tomorrow to make up a few hours I'll be missing since we are not working next weekend for the holidays.
2) We only have one vehicle so I have to take our son to school and pick him up. This means I can't get there till around 8:30 a.m. and have to leave by atleast 2:30 p.m.
This means tomorrow I will be able to hunt from about 12:45 p.m. till 2:30p.m. and from 8:30 a.m. till 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday. I have never hunted public land other than pheasant and that is in wide open fields where everyone see's everyone.
So my question is, being I don't have any time to scope out the land and look for trails, where should I post up? Should I be just in the tree line overlooking the field hoping they will come out in the open or just head out in the woods and sit somewhere? Any advise will be helpfull. I have about gave up on my land for now, I'll go back out there next month but for now I want to let it sit. But, I want to be able to hunt the last two days of season. Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11-19-2006, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Public land question

I'd say try looking it up on Google Earth or local.google.com. In some areas they don't have good resolutions, but others they have great aerial photography. You might be able to pick out a likely spot from the air that way, and from your computer!