Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer decoy

Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default deer decoy

I bought a deer decoy this year. I was wondering when do most of you start to use them. and what scents seem to work well. I was going to use some tarsal gland scent, and make a trail to the decoy.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer decoy

I've used em before. Pre-rut, I would use a buck decoy, place some buck scent on it. maybe leave off one antler to make him look weak. During the rut I'd use a doe decoy, with estrous on it. Remember to position your decoys with the bucks aproach in mind. A buck will usually aproach another buck either head on or slightly from the side. The same buck will usually approach a doe from behind (wonder why?)
If the bucks in your area have seen a lot of decoys (others use them) then you probably won't fool a wise old buck
BTW, during the rut you'll probably attract a lot of curious little button bucks. Annoying little buggers.