Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Stands

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Climbing Stands

i just got a viper ultra for $179 on saturday. it's a great stand. incredibly comfortable, very quiet. and it seems a lot safer then my old climber. they've now bumped the price back up to $229 though. you pretty much can't go wrong with summit climbers. only thing i didn't care for was the instructions. i ended up throwing them away and putting it together based on the picture on the box. total nit pick though. i love the stand.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i own a viper SS...this will be my 3rd season with it...

i LOVE it...wouldnt have it any other way....it will likely be a longggg time before i give into something else...and it will take a dandy to get me to change...

like Matt said, a little bulky, heavy and can be noisy to setup....but i pack mine differently(i think) than Summit shows...and strap them together tight...no noise walking...not overly heavy or bulky to me...setting up it can clank alot if you dont practice and find "your method" i have a way of doing it and can make pretty much no noise...but its taken some practice and getting used to...

i love the comfort...and love the front bar....climbing is easier with it...the sense of saftey...and i love to lay my bow across it...arrow nocked...ready to go...the comfort....amazing....ive been known to SLEEP a bit there was actually one day i got off work at 4 and was beat...home at the time was a ZOO....i went "hunting" after work...took my bow...just incase...went to a spot i never hunted and was just testing the waters....hit the top of the tree and hit the snooze button...i woke up WAY WAY after sunset...only because i was getting cold lol....yes, its that comfortable...ive even hung my bow up and leaned forward and slept on the front rail....(i slept alot that one year...worked 16-24hrs a week and went to school full time...it was tough...i would sleep anytime it wasnt "peak" hours days i was tired...wasnt EVERY day...but i enjoy a snooze in the woods every now and again...probably more than most people...but thats what i enjoy...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Summit Ultra Viper SS. I love the stand. I picked it over the API that my dad had because of the nice setup on the Summit. The cable system with the locks works flawlessly. It is very quiet unpacking/packing and carrying it through the woods. I think the way it packs up is very nice because it is quick and quiet and allows for speedy setup. I would never recommend anything over a Summit.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got'a know what you want in one. One thing I found frustrating before owning one that does,was the lack of adjustability during the climb.

I don't think that summit is adjustable and it's just too darnbig for me. No desire to haul a mini lazyboy on my back. Just get me up an assortment of tree sizes, saftley and quietly without killing me on the trip in or out. A stand with a seat to let me rest for shortperiods because I stand a lot, glassing the area most of the timeand I'm good for the most part. There are other issues to be worked on.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

My Summit viper is excellent! Very comfortable and easy to to use. I would buy another one.
DW
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i own a viper SS...this will be my 3rd season with it...

i LOVE it...wouldnt have it any other way....it will likely be a longggg time before i give into something else...and it will take a dandy to get me to change...

like Matt said, a little bulky, heavy and can be noisy to setup....but i pack mine differently(i think) than Summit shows...and strap them together tight...no noise walking...not overly heavy or bulky to me...setting up it can clank alot if you dont practice and find "your method" i have a way of doing it and can make pretty much no noise...but its taken some practice and getting used to...

i love the comfort...and love the front bar....climbing is easier with it...the sense of saftey...and i love to lay my bow across it...arrow nocked...ready to go...the comfort....amazing....ive been known to SLEEP a bit there was actually one day i got off work at 4 and was beat...home at the time was a ZOO....i went "hunting" after work...took my bow...just incase...went to a spot i never hunted and was just testing the waters....hit the top of the tree and hit the snooze button...i woke up WAY WAY after sunset...only because i was getting cold lol....yes, its that comfortable...ive even hung my bow up and leaned forward and slept on the front rail....(i slept alot that one year...worked 16-24hrs a week and went to school full time...it was tough...i would sleep anytime it wasnt "peak" hours days i was tired...wasnt EVERY day...but i enjoy a snooze in the woods every now and again...probably more than most people...but thats what i enjoy...
I just purchased a Summit Goliath this year and am curious as to how you pack yours differently. I'm pretty nervous about setting it up in the dark without scaring every deer in the woods so any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do the bars that your arms rest on,on the Viper, not get uncomfortable? It seems they kinda have your arms "up" a bit much...kinda chicken wing like???
Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

I personally have a Summit viper SS and love it. I can sit all day comfortable and hunt. Its light weight and quiet. I can get it on and off the tree in no time a all. I recommend it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Summit makes a great stand although I opted to sell mine for what I consider a better one, the Ol'man line of climbers. One main reason I sold the Summit is the sling seat which puts you below the bar on the seat section. It's way too high for bowhunting when you have any shots under the stand. Very comfortable but the Ol'man is too if not more. The Ol'man net seat is one of the most comfortable I've ever used. The open face ones are great, less security but offer all around shooting. This is another reason I love the Ol'man, the bar is low as the seast is flush with it and when standing it's at my knees, I use it to lean on when shooting at certain distances and I also love to prop my feet up on the bar. One main reason I sold the Summit as well, it's more difficult to climb with it than the Ol'man. My exwife hunted and she was small, she couldn't use the Summit but could use the Ol'man. That says alot.

Anyway, Summit, great stand and everyone that has one loves it, there are better but you won't ever be disappointed with it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Spike

i have a summit viper classic i bought not to long ago from a yardsale. Being my first treestand i thought it would take a little getting used to but its great. Easy to get set up, very very comfortable(i could see myself falling asleep in it also...but dont worry i always have my harness on) and overall feels very solid. I've been in a few other tree stands that i just didnt feel too safe in but the viper is awsome. The only problem that i have with mine is that it is a little heavy. Someone educate me if you know the difference but is the classic steel while the other models are aluminum? I believe the specs say the classic is 26 lbs.

either way i cant go wrong i paid $40 for a tree stand that i dont think had every been in a tree before i bought it. The black strips were not even installed on the platform when i recieved it

Quick Reply: Climbing Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.