Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Playing the wind on small properties >

Playing the wind on small properties

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Playing the wind on small properties

Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Playing the wind on small properties

Used to be faced with this scenario quite often. What I did (if I didn't have a stand setup for multiple wind directions) is just hunt off the ground. Or, just grab the climber and get up 5 to 8 feet. Some of the best hunts I've ever had I was just a few feet off the ground.

With only a handful of days to hunt from now through mid-November, I try awfully hard to get out in the woods.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I don’t bag hunts. If I don’t have a good wind for a particular spot I’ll find one, even if that spot might not be very productive. I don’t have the luxury of bagging a hunt based on a non-ideal wind.
Same here .... I can't get out all that much and our season is so short ... I'm hunting no matter what ...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Cant kill em if youre not there. Of the mature deer Ive killed....it was done dead wrong by the text book. Swirling winds for a couple and wrong wind and 'everyday' clothes and boots under camo over-alls. When I think of small properties I think of the ones I hunt here....surrounded by houses. The way the property is laid out, the way the terrain and bedding areas are along with access to the property, there are VERY VERY VERY few days that are OK to hunt by the wind. Most days it swirls or is in the wrong direction. The perimeter of the property is thick and bedding area with the center being ag fields.....scent is always blowing into somebody's bed room.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I "kinda" got a little more time on my hands....and bagging one hunt isn't quite the end of the world, ya know.....lol.

I'll hunt 7 sits this week.....and that's just Mon-Thurs I just felt like not taking a chance, THIS morning.

Lots of good ideas though.....and I liked yours best, tx. That's something I didn't think about doing. I've got deer that travel the ridge below my house.....and the wind would;ve been GREAT for a sit above their trail with the longbow. Dammit.......live and learn......but I know, now. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Well I "kinda" got a little more time on my hands....and bagging one hunt isn't quite the end of the world, ya know.....lol.

I'll hunt 7 sits this week.....and that's just Mon-Thurs I just felt like not taking a chance, THIS morning.

Lots of good ideas though.....and I liked yours best, tx. That's something I didn't think about doing. I've got deer that travel the ridge below my house.....and the wind would;ve been GREAT for a sit above their trail with the longbow. Dammit.......live and learn......but I know, now. Thanks.
This year it is awesome you can do that .....next year may be much different as you told me on the phone ... in those cases, you never know what can happen when you are 20 feet up in a tree and the wind is blowing the "WRONG" direction ...... I have been surprised more than once ..... Heck Jeff, I would do it even WITH all the time you have this year ...... just experiment a little ....

Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff-

Reading your recent posts it's obvious that you're getting very serious about hunting, or not hunting depending on winds.If you have that luxury I think it's the absolute right thing to do. My question to you and other die hard...."only hunt the wind" hunters is: Do/will you use this same practice during the rut? I ask this question because it seems that some folks here are of the opinion that since everything changes durning the rut and bucks are going bonkers...not paying as much attention as they normally would, that killing a buck (or doe for that matter) during the rut is not much of an accomplishment, but a simple case of being lucky.
Thoughts?

Craig