Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So playing the wind really does work >

So playing the wind really does work

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So playing the wind really does work

Old 07-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default So playing the wind really does work

Yesterday I went off to a 3d shoot in the morning and in the afternoon I decided to scout. I was in the woods when I saw something flickering. It was a deer's tail. I walked quietly through mud and got within 40 yards of her. I was smelly , didn't spray myself with scent killer or any products. In plain clothes that were washed in regular detergent. She was walkingwith the wind at her back and walked a half circle around me and didn't even know I was there. So what I'm getting it is that all youguys who said play the wind and forget about the rest you were right. If it was hunting season and I had a bow that would have been great.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM

Default RE: So playing the wind really does work

Did you simulate a fake shot? Like position yourself, draw back, and release? haha I laugh, but I've done this. Hopefully no one saw me or they would think Im crazy. Pretty sure no one did though

PS Wind is one of the most important aspects to hunting.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is pretty amazing how easy it is to fool a deer when you have the wind in your favor.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah I did simulate shots from several different places as I was walking around I didn't stay still just stayed quiet.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

So... You discover that us old farts just might know a few handy bits of information after all.

Did you simulate a fake shot? Like position yourself, draw back, and release?
I do that. On animal I can't legally shoot, I'll put on a stalk and draw my imaginary bow. They really give me the evil eye when I do it at the zoo. [8D]
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

So... You discover that us old farts just might know a few handy bits of information after all.

I do that. On animal I can't legally shoot, I'll put on a stalk and draw my imaginary bow. They really give me the evil eye when I do it at the zoo. [8D]
Lmfao Art!! Your not the only one.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Playing the wind is definitly smart. But you also have to remember that deer are pretty laid back this time of year. Come December i'd be impressed if she let you get that close. Nothing against you, i just think you're dealing with two different animals when talking about a deer in july and a deer in late winter.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

LMAO thats great! I do it at the TV sometimes too while watching the outdoor channel. The woman thinks im crazy.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I killed a turkey once just by calling it.....was at the lacrosse wi zoo and there was an old tom there and I did a vocal call and he faned out, gobbled once and dropped over dead.......guess im a better natural caller than I thought....needless to say me and the wife didnt stick around too long.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nah. He just got a good look at your face.[8D]

Quick Reply: So playing the wind really does work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.