Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Playing the wind >

Playing the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Playing the wind

Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Playing the wind

This ismy first time hunting this particular land. I can probably only put one stand up. The problem is, deer could be coming from any direction. The property has 4 bean fields, each one bordered by woods, there's also a creek that flows through it, the northern third is CRP with a pond. So there's plenty of food, water, and bedding area.Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to attempt to pattern the deer. Besides, as everyone knows patterns change throughout the season. What does everyone do in situations like these? I'm thinking forget playing the wind and practice as much scent protection as I can...?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Playing the wind

If it were me hunting a new spot like that, I'd still play the wind. Been doing this for too long to try it any other way.

It sounds like a good area. This is what I'd do. To me, this looks like a perfect opportunity to hunt out of a climbing stand so you can set up, hunt, then move as needed. You can always do a hang on stand later if you need or want to.

I'd start byhunting spots adjacent to cover (not too close) yet in position to see a good distance, both into the woods and preferably into one of the fields so you can get an idea of what the deer are doing and when. Pretty much of an observation stand. I also wouldn't hunt the same spot more than a couple/three times unless the deer are funneling right by you. I'd look for different spots with similar attributes and let the picture unfold.

Once you have a better feel for the place, you can relocate between bedding and feeding areas and also hunt natural funnels as the rut approaches.

Figure out where the does are spending their time and the bucks will be along here in a month or so.

Twenty ways to skin a cat, but that's probably what I'd do. I like hunting new spots. Hopethis helps you.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Kansasdeerhunter I agree with you for the most part in trying to practice scent protection as much as possible. But I'dalsostill try to enter the property with the wind in your face if possible. Experiment.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a fan of climbing stands. I'll just be going for does on this particular property, soperhaps I'll just make some natural blinds and try from the ground this year. Anyone here bowhunt from the ground? I bet its incredibly difficult