Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand?? >

Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

Sitting in my stand one morning I hear ruckus up the hill behind me. Something was running down the hill as fast as it could go. My first thought was...great, one of the neighbors dogs got out and is chasing something. I look over my shoulder and the speeding bullet is a turkey. It gets right in front of my tree and without slowing down makes a hard left and runs off along the creek bed just as quick. I then expected to see a dog but nothing ever came following it. Not sure where he was coming from or where he was going but he was on a mission.

The wife thinks his turkey buddies saw me and dared him to run down in front of me[8D]
Old 10-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

my buddy and his boy was hunting with me about 6yrs ago, his boy was only 13 at the time and a pretty good sized 13 yr old, well anyhow, we got him up his summit stand and then i got up my stand and my buddy was probably just reaching his stand when i hear a faint , hey dad then a little louder dad!! then a very loud dad!!!!!! wondering what was wrong i got down out of my stand and just after i got there so did my buddy, and there sat my buddy's boy up the tree with the bottom of the summit laying at the bottom of the tree, he forgot to tie his safety strap from the top to the bottom, and when we shined the light up at him he had the deer in the headlight look, we had him drop his bowrope and pull the bottom back up, but it was a moment i will never forget....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, these are some great stories....

Shane
Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Deleted for skirting profanity filter.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was not in the stand, but I went out the first day of shotgun a couple years ago (before I got back into bow hunting). Had a spot picked out at the base of this tree. Big log laying down and right next to this high traffic area. I walked out to my spot and just get there when I hear noise behind me. Didn't the stinkin' stray cat that had been sleeping in our horse barn follow me out to the tree. It came right up to me and started rubbing against my leg. I figure "there goes my day" as I am not walking all the way back to the house. I try to shoo her with no success.

Well, I am ticked off, so I just stand with my back up against the tree. Fifteen minutes after first light, five doe walk past me, two of them close enough I could have poked them with the shotgun. All the while, the cat is curled up at my feet (despite my attempts to get her to leave). I let them get past and drop the biggest of the bunch. A half hour later, a button buck (thought it was another doe) came up about 40 yards on the other side of me and I dropped him. Less than an hour into shotgun season and I had two deer on the ground. All this after I thought my day was a wash!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Hmm i guess this could qualify as leaving....

Was hunting meat in while in college and had a nice healthy looking spike come within 40yds of me....missed with the only two shots I had brought with me (muzzleloading)??....well this deer doesnt so much as spook or twitch an ear. Lays down 25yds from my stand. Knowing im out of ammo because I only brought the shot in the gun and one spare because I NEVER need the back up...decide to leave incase more deer come in and I want to minimize spooking deer as much as possible, I decide to try to get this little fella to leave....I throw my pack at it, nothing, whistle at it, nothing, clap at it, nothing, say "hey" nothing "hey!" nothing "HEY!!!!!", nothing....deer just laying there chewing his cud or whatever. Finally after going back through the shot in my head and knowing I didnt see a bullet wound on that deer anywhere, I get up and start to climb down out of my tree silently, well what do you know....he gets up, whirls around, looks at me and blows and runs off like he saw a ghost.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:44 AM

Two incidents come to mind.

[ol][*]My cell phone rang one day while in the tree and some lady with an oriental accent ask" is this -------- Chinese restaurant ?" I told her no and she asked if I was sure. I said" heck yes I'm sure lady , I'm 25 feet up a tree at the moment hunting deer. She hung up.[/ol]

2. I was in my climber standat the edge of a trout stream and had spun my stand around so that I was acually hanging out over the stream.[ good deer crossing] Any way, along comes some poor guy fishing the stream thinking he's all alone. Eventually he gets directly under me and Istart " psssss----hey buddy" real quietly. I did this a couple of times and each time he'd whip his headaround to see who was there.Eventually I did it loudly and he about fell face down in the stream. What canI say, it was a long sit.[8D]
Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pulled these responses out of another thread that I wrote them in.....Can't wait to see what 2008 brings.

"2006 Ben vs The Bear" encounter I was drawn on the Bear, not by design, but out of shear deer hunter instincts.

Second week of the season, me and the boys were up just a little too late the night before playing cards and sucking on Keystones. Anyhow, the point is that it was just about ten minutes past daylight and I am like 30 yards from a ridge treestand. My buddy Mike was headed to another stand below the ridge off to the left. He was in the group that scrambled/ stumbled out of the cabin ahead of me, so he was down over the side about five minutes before me. I hear what I think is some deer being busted up over by Mr. Smooth. My plan was to be drawn when the deer hit the ridge. I guess I figured they would stop and I would pick one and shoot. Well the "deer" stopped, stood up on his hind legs, at about 10 yards and just looked at me. I didn't know if I should aim at the ten ring and let fly, pee all over freshly washed camo, or drop the bow and run for the stand. Luckily, like in most cases, the beardecided for me. He dropped down and whirled around and ran back down the hill muttering somthing about stupid humans.

Without fail every bow season, I will run into a bear. When I say this, I mean this. Iwalk up on (within 10 yards or less) a bear and or bears every year. Last year I thoughtI was gonna get a pass, but low and behold the second to last week was my week. Mother and a cubon my trail on the way into the stand in the pitch black quiet of morningafter about a 1/4 to a1/2 mile from the cabin.I screamed like a girl, they each jumped on either side of thetrail (splitting them up, I know genius) and at that point I sprinted down the middle of them and the last remaining 60 yards to the stand. At which point I was able to climb with a flashlight, a backpack and a bow like a seasonedmonkey in the jungle. I just hope to get this year'sencounter over with early so I can enjoy the season.[8D]

Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ben, that is hysterical. Sounds like you are a bear magnet. I was in Alaska this summer, just my buddy and I out i the middle of nowhere(dropped off by bush plane) We saw 11 grizzlies and 4 black bears....needless to say I am, all "beared out" for the year.

Shane