HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Gundeck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Funniest, moments while headin to or sitting on stand??

This was not in the stand, but I went out the first day of shotgun a couple years ago (before I got back into bow hunting). Had a spot picked out at the base of this tree. Big log laying down and right next to this high traffic area. I walked out to my spot and just get there when I hear noise behind me. Didn't the stinkin' stray cat that had been sleeping in our horse barn follow me out to the tree. It came right up to me and started rubbing against my leg. I figure "there goes my day" as I am not walking all the way back to the house. I try to shoo her with no success.

Well, I am ticked off, so I just stand with my back up against the tree. Fifteen minutes after first light, five doe walk past me, two of them close enough I could have poked them with the shotgun. All the while, the cat is curled up at my feet (despite my attempts to get her to leave). I let them get past and drop the biggest of the bunch. A half hour later, a button buck (thought it was another doe) came up about 40 yards on the other side of me and I dropped him. Less than an hour into shotgun season and I had two deer on the ground. All this after I thought my day was a wash!