Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

VS-1 scent???

Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default VS-1 scent???

I was at Cabelas and noticed a scent made by Border Crossing Scents calld VS-1. It comes in a deodorant form of stick. It was priced at $49.99 and I came across a stick in the bargain cave for $11 and bought it. I have never heard of it but wanted to try it and was wondering if any of you guys know anything about it.

Thanks Kash
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: VS-1 scent???

There was a ton of commercials and infomercials on the VS1 last season but havn't heard anything from them this year. From what i remember is that there estrous urine products are supposed to contain the urine of on;y one single doe in estrous. They claim that all the other brands contain the urine of multiple deer and that the whitetail buck can distinguish that. Also last year i never saw it in any stores but i heard that you have to order directly from them because they believe that in order for it to effective it must be bottled and shipped directly to the customer to ensure freshness. I'm not sure if they are now making urine in the stick form but last season they carried a product called "Deer Herd in a Stick". They say to use it on mock scrapes. Is that the product that you got?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The stuff may work, but I don't think I'll ever buy something endorsed by Al Warran. Just a tad bit more expensive than Tinks too... Let us know how it works.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

To spend $50 on doe pee is just outrageous in my opinion. Tinks to me is the way to go or the stuff from wildlife research.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Ya there was deer herd in a stick there also but I didnt buy it. I purchased the VS-1 estrous scent. Ya fifty dollars seems very exspensive thats why I bought it from the bargain cave for 11. Yep Ill let ya know how it works.

Thanks Kash
Old 10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I was given the VS-1 liquid & VS-1 stick as an anniversary present from my wife last year (she's not that into hunting as much as she talked to my hunting buddy). Yes- what is in one single bottle is taken from ONE single doe. The big difference between VS-1 and the other doe-in-estrous urines is that:

- VS-1 actually contains vaginal secretions of the estrous does that the urine derives from.

- VS-1 is extremely fresh, something like less than a week old by the time it makes it to your door.

- If refridgerated, VS-1 will not break down, resulting in an amonia-based liquid. This is due to the vaginal secretions that help maintain the integrity of the substance.
-------------------------------------------
Try this- if you have any leftover doe-in-estrous urine from last season, take the top off an give it a good whiff. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it has the faint smell of amonia to it. If it does, throw it away, as it's useless to you as an estrous scent attractant. You'd be better off using your wife's/girlfriend's piss the next time they have their period- at least that will be fresh.

I just took a whiff of the VS-1 that I had left over from last season (yes, it's been in my fridge down my basement since last December), it smells sweet-no faint tinge of amonia like Tinks (or any other "urine only" estrous scents)after about 6 months.

One last proviso- you can't use VS-1 until the rut (maybe the very end of the pre-rut) as you'll simply be educating the smart, older bucks that something foul is afoot.

Last season I whacked an 8 pointwho intersected a scentdrag that I made about 60 yards from my stand. When he crossed the scent line, he immediately took a hard left turn (with his nose to the ground) right to my stand. I whacked him while he was licking the scent drag I had hung off a branch ~ 10 yards from my stand. Ifstored/used properly- VS-1 works.Like most of you- I probably would have never 'fessed up the 50 geeders and purchased theVS-1 liquid on my own. Once Ihad it and did my homework on what I actually had- I was impressed. I still am.

Rob
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM

I used the VS-1 last year in Illinois had a couple of small bucks come in and take a whiff at it! I personaly liked the deer herd in a stick scent I used it last year as just a cover scent and deer would pretty much follow the line I walk in on. Might be coincidence might not.