Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"? >

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

i use it as a deer that u can tell he wont have the genetics for instance a deer that has 4 points on one side and just a main beam. somethign of that nature. unless you have a huge farm and the deer stay there and you can watch them and know how old they are each year the term cull buck doesnt pertain to some extent.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

All the answers have been said, but Dr. Kroll wrote an article in the early 90's about once a spike always a spike. I was only 12 or 13 but the article hit home because in thesouth alot of people are under that notion that a spike is always a spike. He showed a deer that was a 3 pt at 2.5 and over 230 NT b&c at 5 1/2. His argument if I remember correctly was the deer had the genetics but did not get the food. My point being "CULL" simply means I can still charge you $2500 to shoot this fine mature deer since we failed to put you on a "trophy" deer or you could not afford that hunt. I agree with the guys in the big buck states that if a deer reaches 5 or 6 and does not have the rack you desire then by all means take him out, but realize you are not taking him out for genentic purposes (he has already bred 3 or 4 years and countless times) but take him out for the same reason you would a doe, more food for the deer that do have it all.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Without reading anything but your original post..my answer is this.

Anywhere outside of a managed OUTFITTER property, where cull hunts are used to take less quality bucks off the land, at a lower priced hunt.

It's a term used when a "trophy hunter" gets tired of waiting and wants to shoot something. The term "Cull" can be used to justify it, in his mind.

To those this offends an opinion was asked for and expressed..it's nothing more than mine.