HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
MichaelP
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's your opinion of the term "Cull buck"?

All the answers have been said, but Dr. Kroll wrote an article in the early 90's about once a spike always a spike. I was only 12 or 13 but the article hit home because in thesouth alot of people are under that notion that a spike is always a spike. He showed a deer that was a 3 pt at 2.5 and over 230 NT b&c at 5 1/2. His argument if I remember correctly was the deer had the genetics but did not get the food. My point being "CULL" simply means I can still charge you $2500 to shoot this fine mature deer since we failed to put you on a "trophy" deer or you could not afford that hunt. I agree with the guys in the big buck states that if a deer reaches 5 or 6 and does not have the rack you desire then by all means take him out, but realize you are not taking him out for genentic purposes (he has already bred 3 or 4 years and countless times) but take him out for the same reason you would a doe, more food for the deer that do have it all.