Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade camo?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Homemade camo?

Just curious to see if anyone has gotten creative and made their own camo. I had my mother help make me a pair of pants and a jacket out of some material I found at Wally World this summer that will serve as my main bowhunting duds. Pretty decent pattern and has proved pretty effective thus far in the woods for me this season.

On a side note. Some of the camo question posted on here in recent weeks also got me thinking about some of the digital camo patterns used by the military. I decided to put my photo editing abilities to work and altered a stock photo of a set of digital woodland BDUs. I turned the pic B&W and then drew up a predator style pattern on the jacket and then drew up an ASAT pattern on the pants. I cropped them out and pasted them onto a pic just showing some woods (also B&W) and I was really surprised how well the garments seemed to breakup with such a simple computer alteration. Obviously, actual results may vary, but my findings were interesting none the less. (I think I have the pics on my laptop at home still, I'll try to post them up when I get back)

I may try to pick up a set of the digital woodys and try something like this now. Anyone else experiment with things like this or make their own suits out of stock material from a store?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade camo?

Just go Rambo style, and smear mud all over yourself.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

Just go Rambo style, and smear mud all over yourself.
I think that may blob a little bit from a distance

Not-to-metion the hummingbird sized skeeters we have would put an end to that real quick
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

A few years ago my wife was just getting started. She didn't want to spend the money on camo. I had an old pair of quilted carharts that fit her. Bought some black and green dye from the store and painted 'em up. Didn't look too bad.

I think most of the camo craze is hype. As I said before, I watched a video of a guy in blue jeans and a camo top stalk and kill a good buck in a partially-down cornfield. Movement, or lack thereof, is far more important than camo, although I do wear camo: BDU bottoms and digital top, both military issue.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Deer can't see BLUE. LOL[8D]