Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade camo?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Homemade camo?

Anyone here ever make you own camo? Ive been thinking about camo a lot lattely and I think you could probably make some pretty sweet camo right at home. But my only question is what do you use? Spray paint?
Looking forward to hearing what yall have done
Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Homemade camo?

lets keep this at the top! BUMP
Old 07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I started bowhunting, we didn't have much camo, if any at all. I made my own-from an army surplus store get shirts and used a black laundry marker and colored in sticks. For pants I used blue jeans and tied the legs in knots and soaked in a bleach solution, came out like tie-dyed shirts. Deer didn't seem to mind any how we dressed.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Cool! So what all can you use to add color to it? And would a sharpee work to draw the limbs and patterns?
Lets keep this thread going yall
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 PM

When I was a kid, I also used army fatigues (OD green) and made die out of walnut hulls. Essentially we tie dyed the fatigues, turning them into almost a tiger stripe pattern.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM

You can also use the Rit dye on just about any cloth that isn't treated with something. Put it on with a small brush. I think they make dye pens too.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, i think alot of the camo made today is for the hunter's perception. As you probably know, deer are colorblind anyway, so as long as you breakup your outline you should be fine. Ihave hunted inwoodland camo for yearswhile growing up. My dad would still huntin it, ifwe didnt buy him camo for christmas and his birthday.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM

Color blind to certain colors but not all like blue and purple they see well.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Which is ironic when you think of how much camo uses black dye which contains blue/purple pigment. It's impossible for man to make a black dye that is 100% black. It occurs naturally in animal fur but we can duplicate it 100%. That's how forensic investigators can tell if a photograph is of a real animal or a person in a costume. They simply look for the blue spectrum in the fur. If it's there it's fake.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now adays...you can go out and buy a brown shirt....and some green Spray Paint.Go home,take some Cardboard and a Leaf and make a stencil....then spray paint the shirt full of leaves!!

Quick Reply: Homemade camo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.