Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice needed on home processing >

Advice needed on home processing

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice needed on home processing

Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice needed on home processing

My advice on a grinder is find a cheep kitchen one at a yard sale. My wife and I do our own also and thats all we have ever used. Its not fance and its not the fastest but it gets the job done and they are cheep to find. You might even find one at a salvation arm or thrift shop. I think we paid $5 for one at a yard sale and have used it for about 6 years and it still works great. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dstubb

Ok, so this year i decided that i am going to do all of my own processing. I have heard far to many horror stories and experienced a few myself with the local butcher shops here in Ohio. Plus i think that i will bring me a deeper feeling of achievement and a greater appreciation for the food on the table. So far i have watched a 2 hour DVD on the entire process and also numerous videos and articles online.

So far i have installed a gambrel (deer hanger) in the garage, purchased a secondary garage refrigerator and purchased a set of boning knives and a cheap little hack saw. I have yet to purchase a meat grinder because i am not sure if i want a manual for around $25 or an electric for around $100. Is a manual all that much work? I figure that i will process 2-4 deer per season and will not be making and sausage only steaks, ground and jerky. Also, do you guy's mix in beef fat with your ground or do you just go with straight venison?

Any other tips that you would like to share please feel free.

Send me $20.00 and I'll tell ya
Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Send me $20.00 and I'll tell ya
Funny!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

This season i'm thinking a hand grinder and some freezer paper. If i'm gonna still do it next season i will maybe invest in some better equipment.

Oh yeah, where do you guy's get the fat that you add to your ground?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get the fat at your local butcher shop or even at some grocery store meat departments.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dstubb~~ I bought a el cheapo $70-$85 electric grinder(1/3rd HP i think..??) at my local Wally World last year and I absolutely love it so far!! Easy to move around, fast, will grind up as fast as I can shove it in, and just plain easy!! The only downfall I can find so far is the gear in the back is a hard poly plastic(it came with an extra gear)... I have done 3-4 deer so far and have not had a problem at all with it slipping or even bogging out so I am happy!!

Even if I would ONLY get another year out of the grinder I have got my moneys worth out of it!! A buddy of mine has one similiar that he got off EBAY(might wanna check em out) its a Made In China type of model and has been using it for probably 10yrs easy with no problems and they even stuff sausage and much more with it!!!

IMO save yourself the aggravation and your back and spend the etra money and get an electric grinder!!

Also I just use ZipLoc freezer quart bags to freeze EVERYTHING off of my deer and meat easily lasts up to a year without any freezer burn!! I also have a foodsaver vacuum sealer but it's more of an aggravation to me then its worth!! I only use it to wrap deer bologna!!

Also the buddy that has the other el cheapo grinder uses freezer paper and I did a couple deer at his house one year and found myself trying to use up the meat very quickly because the paper was not preventing freezer burn!!! I guess to each his own, but I know I will never use that stuff again!!

Hope this helps Good Luck!!!

ohhhh and maybe you should have sold more avatars to help pay for this stuff...JK Good Luck buddy!!