Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why did michigan ban baiting >

why did michigan ban baiting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why did michigan ban baiting

Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why did michigan ban baiting

Im curious, how many of you guys actually hunt Michigan on a yearly basis? This seems likes its turning into an argument of people who aren't even from Michigan and just want to get into a war of words.

I hunt Michigan and commented on the 8 or so forums we've had on this. Its starting to be an overkill. I hunt over blinds with feed and blinds w/o feed. Do I see a real advantage? Not really. Deer are going to move no matter what and anyone who thinks a deer stays close to one particular feed pile makes me laugh. Do I think this is an overkill with this ban? Yes, why ban feeding200 miles away 3 months after the disease is discovered ina double fenced pen and every other deer in the encloser was free of disease? I know the state is already passing a bill to reverse this band for being state wide, will it pass, who knows? I really don't have feelings either way. I do have feelings for some of those farm stands along the way that make a decent amount of there living selling feed in the fall. I grew up hunting baited stands in Michigan and for those who hunt smaller pieces of property it does help. I hate when people who hunt pieces of land over 250 acres comment on this, you can pattern deer a lot easier on tracts that big than when everyone around you owns 40-50 acres and hunts 2 to 3 people per tract. If people think that baiting is going to stop entirely, it isn't. If the ban stays, I will not be baiting, butI know many people will. Hunting over bait is a way of life for some in Michigan, a lights out ban is not going to stop it, that is for sure.

Again, either way, I don't care, but deBaiting (get it!) on this is getting out of hand!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've stayed out of this one so far..... I'll keep it that way!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM

i hunt michigan yearly lol..and i didnt mean to put this post up for people to fight over if baiting is hunting or not..you all missing the point...i just wanted to know what CWD had to do with Food being in one spot and why it got banned i did get my answer...so if you wanna talk bout baiting im sure you can put up a post and you will get lot of hits ....again im sorry this turned into a bait debait ....
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt michigan yearly lol..and i didnt mean to put this post up for people to fight over if baiting is hunting or not..you all missing the point...i just wanted to know what CWD had to do with Food being in one spot and why it got banned i did get my answer...so if you wanna talk bout baiting im sure you can put up a post and you will get lot of hits ....again im sorry this turned into a bait debait ....
I read an article pertaining to why michigan banned baiting..Its because deer were getting in the habit of knowing where food was at all times hence the bait. And when people moved or the bait wasnt available deer would not trust there instinct and search out food. Thats why PA penalizes $5000.00 for feeding deer & bear in/out of season.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM

yea thats a pretty steep fine
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

I read an article pertaining to why michigan banned baiting..Its because deer were getting in the habit of knowing where food was at all times hence the bait. And when people moved or the bait wasnt available deer would not trust there instinct and search out food. Thats why PA penalizes $5000.00 for feeding deer & bear in/out of season.
I have really enjoyed your posts in this thread. LMAO. Was it Mark Twain who said something about it being better to be quiet and have people think you are dull than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? That could potentially be applicable here...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM

i would so agree that this one keep my work day going by faster
Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I live and hunt in michigan. Well it looks it some of you say I am not a hunter? I use ground blinds, tree stands, and "had" a feeder. So if I am not a hunter, I will just call myself a "deer killer"
Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

I have really enjoyed your posts in this thread. LMAO. Was it Mark Twain who said something about it being better to be quiet and have people think you are dull than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? That could potentially be applicable here...
Abe Lincoln said:

It is better to be silent, and branded an idiot, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: whatisup02

I live and hunt in michigan. Well it looks it some of you say I am not a hunter? I use ground blinds, tree stands, and "had" a feeder. So if I am not a hunter, I will just call myself a "deer killer"

too funny!

i dont bait i have a decomposite pile with a sign sayin ALL VIOLATOR WILL BE SHOT.....so its not baiting just protecting my wasted food

Quick Reply: why did michigan ban baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.