Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help With " Picking A Spot" >

Need Help With " Picking A Spot"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help With " Picking A Spot"

Old 03-18-2003, 04:00 PM

Default Need Help With " Picking A Spot"

Well I will admit it, I have been bow hunting for 22 years. But recently I have started to try hunting " larger" deer. I am being very succesful in finding them now that I am concentrating on " large" deer not just finding " any' deer.
The problem is that I am finding it hard to " pick a spot" on the larger deer. If I look away from the rack, I still have to contend with hitting a large animal that I' m not use to shooting at. Technically, I think this is called buck fever, but don' t tell anyone.
I get the buck in close, get drawn back,(usually), without being seen, put the pin on the 10 spot, then all of a sudden I cant keep the pin centered, and I loose the spot I was looking at. Then I retrive my arrow from the tree and go home and put a new broadhead on my arrow.[:@]

ANY suggestions will be appreciated, any that you think I can practice in the off season?

I have shot several deer with a bow, dont know exactly, but plenty, nothing bigger than does and 8 and 10 ptrs. on down. (Basket rack 8' s and10' s only)
Old 03-18-2003, 06:05 PM

Default RE: Need Help With " Picking A Spot"

you probaly have not seen enough big bucks who has. i would think seeing them daily at a pen or park would get you used to them. seeing small deer most people have and get used to it but larger deer can make some people do strange things so the only way i know of getting cured maybe is being around them a lot seeing them daily would make it a routine kind of thing. good luck
Old 03-18-2003, 06:14 PM

Practice shooting by focusing on the spot you want to hit and not the pin.If your form is consistent your eye will automaticaly center the pin in the peep.The pinnwill float a little,that' s natural.Your eyes however cannot focus on two spots at once.If you are focusing on the pin and it' s movement it' s hard to pick a spot on the deer to shoot.Focus on the spot and let everything else be automatic.As far getting nervous and excited,if you ever stop getting excited it' s time to take up golf.Learn to control the excitement and enjoy the experience.One thing you can do is exersize hard for a few minutes,get the heart rate up,then grab your bow and shoot one arrow at a 3d target.This will help you learn to focus when your heart is really pounding.Maybe even try shooting some 3d.The pressure of shooting with other people watching can help you to learn to focus.

CB
Old 03-19-2003, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I succumbed to buck fever on my first buck this year, so I found a solution that worked for me.Try climbing up in that tree stand in the off season with a camera with a small dot on the lense( site window) and sit and wait on larger deer and just sit and watch the larger deer go by, or use the camera with the dot on the lense( site window) to simulate a pin on the deer and practice by taking photos. I have learned to over come the excitment of the moment by just watching them pass by me within bow range when I didnt have anymore buck tags, ya I was mad at the time I couldnt take em but it turned out to be a great learning experience to just watch and keep my composure together.

Old 03-19-2003, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember there is plenty of time for buck fever when you have a bloody shaft stuck in the ground.

I have a little saying that I repeat to myself when I encounter a large animal. It is mainly to keep my focus on what needs to be done.

I stole it from Bill Winke, but it works for me also. " Full draw, pick a spot, follow through"
Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 AM

I try to not focus on the antlers. Once I see that he is something I wanna shoot , Ipick where he will present the best shot. Trying to get something between me and him when I draw( this also taakes focus off head gear). When I do get the draw I figure how many steps I want him to take and count em off in my head.That' s just my own thing. You may wanna try an old target archers trick, bring the pin up on the deer not down this takes alot of concetration if you don' t normally do it and reduces shakes and misses from " dropping the bow" . Hope this helps.