Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Draw Weight  Post Got me thinking >

Draw Weight Post Got me thinking

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw Weight Post Got me thinking

Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Draw Weight Post Got me thinking

The draw weight post got me thinking and remembering a little. My neighbor and I got into a small dispute about drawing bows back without an arrow. I told him you always want to have an arrow nocked before you draw, incase of anaccidental firing, it will put resistance on the string and not damage the limbs like a dry fire would. He said thats a load of crap. The proshop let him draw bows back not too long ago without nocking arrows. I told him Mike knows better that, at least he should. The he went on and asked me what happens if you have an arrow nocked, and you accidently fire and hit someone. I told him its no different than a gun, keep it pointed and drawn in a safe direction and make sure noone is down range and noone should get hurt. Am I going about this the right way. Help settle the score.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Draw Weight Post Got me thinking

If I'm in the bow shop.....and I'm looking at bows......they have one of those "no fire" release aids that we use without an arrow all the time. It can not fire, unless the buckle were to break or come undone.

Key here is....THEY tied the D-loops. THEY are responsible.

At home.....MY bows.....I always nock an arrow.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks G, maybe he was using one of the no fire relases, Ill have to ask him. I know when I go to some shops they have them laying around, I never gave that a thought.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I'm in the bow shop.....and I'm looking at bows......they have one of those "no fire" release aids that we use without an arrow all the time. It can not fire, unless the buckle were to break or come undone.

Key here is....THEY tied the D-loops. THEY are responsible.

At home.....MY bows.....I always nock an arrow.
X2, only two proshops I've been to had the no fire release aids. I used to, in my younger years, draw back without an arrow nocked. I no longer do.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Thanks G, maybe he was using one of the no fire relases, Ill have to ask him. I know when I go to some shops they have them laying around, I never gave that a thought.

Every now and again you'll run into some hard nosed redneck who just flat refuses to use a no fire release. "Well this is the one I hunt with, so this is the one I gotsta draw with so she'll be right."

My reply; "Well sir... all we are checking here is your arrow length... the release isn't going to change that...." I get cut-off...

"Damn it, I said I gotsta use this one. I can't use them no fire things!"

"Thats kinda the point here."

I make them take all their equipment and go in the range if they are going to play that game. Even if it is just to draw back the graduated arrow for a measurement. I have had arrows pass between my bicep and my rip cage (thankfully hitting nothing but air) and I don't care to have that happen ever again.