Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you just have to shoot a young buck..... >

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

I have been hunting for over 30 years and would zip that buck with the sticker in the blink of an eye.
You shoot what you want and I'll shoot what I want is the Mantra of the day. That being said I don't shoot BB, spikes or forkhorns but would love to shoot the tall racked six I saw last year.

Whats wrong with shooting a yearling/fawn?? They eat fine and they are legal.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find it funny that someone 2 counties or 5 states away cares what I shoot.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

original:kevin1
It's none of your damned business what someone else shoots, elitist a-holes like you piss me off, not everybody hunts for the same reasons you do jerrkoff. [:@]

Easy there big fella.....might want to consider decaffinated.
It is my business when it is my farm and I have invited guests. You are still missing the point I am making. If you want to disagree, fine. Just make sure you know what you are disagreeing with.

All I am saying is if given a choice, and at our place we have enough deer that you do, don't shoot the 2 1/2 yo 8pts that are only 90-100" deer today, shoot the little 4 point or spike if you must (or want to), but leave the 2.5 yo alone.

Why is there anymore satisfaction in shooting the two 2.5 yo 8 pts I showed than the little 4 or 5 pt? Thats what I am asking?

original:Phade

This post just may be the most poorly thought out one I've seen in a long time here.

Your theory of "potential" on these young deer is so wrong that it's sad it's being propagated.

The LARGESTfactor of the deer that you deemed to have less potential were victims of a late birth date, and vice versa for the larger racked 1.5's. Science has proven time and time again that they not only catch up, but in many cases become studs. Even though you noted science behind this, it doesn't make it any better to assume that the larger potential deer will be bigger, and thus bank your harvest decisions on that. If you shoot are younger deer, regardless of antler size, you are still shooting a younger deer - bottom line. At that point, it doesn't matter because YOU don't know what they COULD become. A 1.5 is a 1.5....is a 1.5.
Phade, I agree that science says that the little 4 pt or even the spike in my kill photo, if given the chance MIGHT be the next B/C deer in 5 or 6 years. However, if forced to pick one to cull out today, the law of probabilities still tells me they are the least likely.

Take 100 first grade boys on the first day of school. A few could actually still only be 5. Some will already be 7. Most will be 6. So there is probably a 18 month age window which percentage wise at that time in their life is pretty big.

But given that, I'll bet you that if you take th 10 tallest boys and the 10 shortest boys and then re-evaluate the same group of boys when they are 18, that there will about a 80% of the tall boys are still the tallest and the other 20% are average and not all the way down into the shortest 10%.
Same with the short boys.

Remember, the premise of the thread is "If you must shoot a young deer.....then which one."

Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

That right there is GOSPEL!

You can't possibly know what is going on at someone else's property to try to dictate what they should or should not shoot. QDM is a good thing, but people need to realize that it is not realistic or even possible everywhere you go.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I find it funny that someone would kill a 2.5 yo instead of a 1.5 yo when both are plentiful and the area has the potential to grow big deer.

If that does not encompass your area, then I am not talking to you and you are right.....I don't care.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I will put it simply some guys in the hunting world are the slime of the earth and would kill a fawn if they were permitted. Ive seen guys shoot fawns just because they wanna kill something. And i say hunters who kills spikes should be shot themselves. Its not right to kill such a small deer. Id rather just kill a doe.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I will put it simply some guys in the hunting world are the slime of the earth and would kill a fawn if they were permitted. Ive seen guys shoot fawns just because they wanna kill something. And i say hunters who kills spikes should be shot themselves. Its not right to kill such a small deer.
I'm permitted. I do it (did it twice, last year). Am I "slime of the earth"?

Same question goes for guys who've shot spikes, here. Slime?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

"And i say hunters who kills spikes should be shot themselves."

nissan--you have a lot of growing up to do before you post again in the future.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I find it funny that someone would kill a 2.5 yo instead of a 1.5 yo when both are plentiful and the area has the potential to grow big deer.

If that does not encompass your area, then I am not talking to you and you are right.....I don't care.
And how do you know that 2.5 year olds are plentiful and his area has the potential to grow big deer. You don't. PA is a perfect example.10 years ago before ARs 2.5s were anything but plentiful. I could expect to see one maybe once a season and that was on private land that was bowhunting only.

It's real easy to put your perspectives on somebody else's situation, but 9 times out of 10 it's also a mistake. There is property right across the river from me where those 2.5 year oldsyou have pictured are some of the oldest in those woods. The property is huntedvery intensely and anything making the 3 point to a side minimum gets shot. So, if you see one of those bucks in that pictureon that pieceyou'd better be shooting because that is one of thebest bucks there.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jackflap

My area does have the potential to grow big deer. I'm not even disagreeing with you. If you owned the ground next to me, you'd probably like having me as a neighbor. I have been doing lots of upgrades to my property to help the herd and make my hunts more enjoyable.I've been holding out for bette deer recently and have seen good results doing so.Still doesn't change the fact that when I get in the stand, I don't give 2 chits about what someone in Texas thinks about what I shoot.

Quick Reply: If you just have to shoot a young buck.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.