Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No Smell!!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default No Smell!!

I gave up on the whole scent free thing a couple years ago and figured out something better. Deer aren't afraid of things there use to, its the sudden new scent of you being in the area. I take a old t-shirt, go out and work all day in it then hang it on my stand. Replace it every week or two and the deer will get use to your scent and no more scent killers. Its a little bit of work but saves money and time. Try it
Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Smell!!

I think I'll stay with the scent free approach.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Thats an interesting approach. Have you done this with success in the past?
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I have had alot of luck with it. Ive had all kinds of does downwind of me and taken a buck with this aproach. Dont get me wrong I agree firmly that scent free approach works. I'm just saying if you wanna try this it will work and it might save ya a little money buying all scent lock and scent free gear. It will only work on a permanent stand though where deer come in every day and can get use to the scent.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

I use something similar and it works well..Before going to my stand I wash my gear in baking soda...then i get some freshly fallen leaves and rub it on my gear before going out to the woods...As the gentleman said, deer get spooked by a new scent. And considering ive bagged 3-4 deer a year since using this it works and its not a bad smell its the fresh fall dead leaf smell...if you live in the northeast youll know the smell.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

We actually thought of using this approach with bear baits in Maine next year. It was so warm when we were up there we knew that sweating just getting into the stand was hurting us. We also knew that we left some scent at the bait when refilling the bait and the bear didn't seem to mind that, but the extra scent when we were in the stand may have been hurting us, so we were going to do exactly as you suggested. We'll give it a shot.

I don't know if I'd do it with whitetails, but I think it is an approach that has some merit.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt alot around the oil wells and facilities, and work in the oil patch as well. I always smell like the patch when walking around the woods and checking out my hunting spots during the day. It has never affected the deer that I can see, I think that smell is just normal to them in that area.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Again as i said it works for me and i live in pennsylvania and as you could imagine the trees and brush are pretty thick.. And all the leaves here start falling about mid sept...so yeah right now. And my first hunting experiences were a little strange some guys smoke in the woods and get deer i cant understand that but ok. Yes freshly fallen leaves rub it on your gear for serveral days before after washing your gear in baking soda. It makes you smell just like the woods your in if you didnt already guess that...i know im captain obvious. But it works and even when im stalking im usually wearing thin clothes and a backpack...Im a big guys and i can stalk effectively with just the natural leave scent and facepaint. I KNOW TOTAL RAMBO WANNABEE
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Young deer maybe. Mature deer......go ahead but not me.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should pick up some of those new Solar-Powered Night Vision Bino's with all that money your saving...