Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Throw out deer management >

Throw out deer management

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Throw out deer management

Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Throw out deer management

No, but I have a little less of a goal the last week of normal season. If I don't see what I want to shoot right away in the first month of the early season. I know that in another month the rutt will be bringing all kinds of new bucks in my woods. So, come the last week of bow season I lower my spectations of what's out there. I do not shoot no scrub horn buck, I like at least 17" eight point and he better be unique! or tag soup, unless I get a decent late season, weather wise.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

YUP, and the first, second, third etc etc etc. My year long project is to hear TWACK, see blood on the ground and smell onions and backstraps frying.
Sound management right there! lol
Add in some fresh eggs the next day with the left overs.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ifit comes down to the wire and only a few minutes left on the last day, id take the first antlered or antlerless deer that walks by as long as its not a yearling or fawn, just to put meat on the table.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

YES.. My standards would change at the end of the season. I want a good buck but am willing to lower my standards at the last minute. I'm more interested is killing ONE deer than managing the whole herd. Tough to pass on the smaller bucks when you hunt on heavily presured public land.
Most but not all of the time guys shoot deer smaller than what they had planned. Just look at the post "your goal this season" and realize that many do lower their standards in that final pinch. Sometimes goals don't mesh with reality.
I shoot what I want and what my license allows me to. I live in a less than %5 success rate state so my standards are always subject to change.

I wonder what the average score was last year in the contest. It sure is not 130 plus which seems to be a baseline of some sort.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Thenicest thing aboutnot being antler obsessed is the lack of pressure to only shoot something that may not ever arrive. I shoot for the freezer and for some quiet time in the woods, if it's big enough to be worth tying to the deer cart it goes down. BTW way antler worshippers, there's a hell of a lot more of usthan there are of you, so "deer management" is a waste of your time unless you're behind a very tall fence.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only management that I practice is if I manage to set-up in the tree that the deer walk by.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thenicest thing aboutnot being antler obsessed is the lack of pressure to only shoot something that may not ever arrive. I shoot for the freezer and for some quiet time in the woods, if it's big enough to be worth tying to the deer cart it goes down. BTW way antler worshippers, there's a hell of a lot more of usthan there are of you, so "deer management" is a waste of your time unless you're behind a very tall fence.
I find the nicest thing about waiting on a nice buck is that I have no pressure on me to shoot a buck. I can let them go and never worry about HAVING to kill one. So for all you brown & downers who think you kill them all and the horn worshipers are wasting our time….please, don’t give yourselves so much credit, we still find the big ones you guys fail to kill. You aren’t THAT good.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

That doesnt make sence at a certain point. Say there is 2 deer that 1 is bigger by about 5 inches. You pass the smaller 1 on the first day in hopes of seeing the bigger 1 throughout the season. then on the last day you wouldnt shoot the smaller 1? If its brown its down, Im goinghunt for fun not horns.
Then why would you have passed on the smaller buck in the first place?

Also...QDM has more to do with taking bucks of a certian AGE than certian number of inches of antler.

The buck with the smaller rack would be the correct deer to shoot if he was more mature than the larger racked buck from a QDM perspective.

But to answer your question...NO...my plan does not change from the first day of the season to the last. A buck that gets a pass on the opener would still get a pass from me on the last day.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

As my Boss tellsme all the time {Do what you want to doyour going to do it anyway]

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

On most of the properties I hunt I throw out deer management on the first day. There are so many other guys out there that don't follow any kind of management practice and the parcels are so small that trying to manage as a single person would be futile.

That doesn't mean I shoot any deer or any buck that crosses my path. I still set my personal standards, but they have nothing to do with management and everything to do with me challenging myself and trying to shoot what will make me happy.

Quick Reply: Throw out deer management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.