Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Throw out deer management >

Throw out deer management

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Throw out deer management

Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Throw out deer management

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

That doesnt make sence at a certain point. Say there is 2 deer that 1 is bigger by about 5 inches. You pass the smaller 1 on the first day in hopes of seeing the bigger 1 throughout the season. then on the last day you wouldnt shoot the smaller 1? If its brown its down, Im goinghunt for fun not horns.
And there is nothing wrong with that. It's called freedom, and its great. I chose to excersize mine differently thats all.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 PM

I was just pondering on why is that hunters success was based on a large deer. Well the best answer I would think of is,

A deer with a larger rack is older right? and should be smarter then a smaller deer. So i think people hunt for big racks because its more a challenge for them. I mean i dont know any good recipies for BBQ horn
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would make no sence, if you had a management plan that is. Thats like planning to build a barn, and as your about to get completly finished and get the last piece of siding on...you say ahh to hell with it and bury it in with a dozer. Why work so hard to acheive something and then just throw her to the curb? That dont add up, if you have a management plan that is.

I, however, do not have a management plan. I do try to hold out for a nice buck, but pretty much whatever walks by that catches my fancy get his goose cooked.

So yeah, if i see a smaller buck and i really like the looks of him on the last day of season, fire up the grill honey were eattin tonight!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you end the season without killing a buck the world will not end.

I've passed a buck early and then shot it later in the season on one of my last hunts. I regret doing that, I think it was a dumb move on my part.

Shoot what you want, but private or public land if the buck is alive on the last day, odds are he's going to be there the next season and be much nicer.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

It won't?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:40 PM

No. I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360
If its brown its down, Im goinghunt for fun not horns.
You sure you aren't from Virginia? Thats the whole reason our average buck that is killed hasa 70-75 inch rack and doesn't even make it to 2 years old!

Around here everyone complains why they don't ever get a shot at a big buck(120ish) but they follow that same theory, too!!

Oh and to answer the post question, No I hold my standards High for a Reason, and don't break it becouse its the end of the season.....if it comes down to it I'll pop a Doe or 2!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

When you are interested in something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you are committed to something, you do it, no matter what. This is also true in life.

I committed to ONLY improving my deer herd.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I've passed a buck early and then shot it later in the season on one of my last hunts. I regret doing that, I think it was a dumb move on my part.

Shoot what you want, but private or public land if the buck is alive on the last day, odds are he's going to be there the next season and be much nicer.
Hell, I passed on a particular buck3 mornings in a row in 3 different stands. I finally got tired of looking at him and killed him the 4th time. It was a great shot, a quick kill and he ate great.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Hell, I passed on a particular buck 3 mornings in a row in 3 different stands. I finally got tired of looking at him and killed him the 4th time. It was a great shot, a quick kill and he ate great.
So what is your point? Want an award?

Quick Reply: Throw out deer management

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.