Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow too heavy?? >

Arrow too heavy??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow too heavy??

Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Default RE: Arrow too heavy??

He can go lighter. However, being so close to the season I would be hesitant to change things up now. If the broadheads are flying well he's good to go. I'm assuming he's hunting deer.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I shoot 300gr. at 60lbs 65 ft/lbs of Ke. and I am sure it won't bounce off the skin!!
Not saying arrows will bounce off. What we're suggesting is that at 5 gr. per poundyour bow may very well be the next one to explode.[:'(][&:]
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no such thing as too heavy!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:50 PM

I shoot right around 6.9 gpp at 70 lbs. Could be heavier, or lighter...I really like this weight range compared to previous lighter arrows.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I shoot 300gr. at 60lbs 65 ft/lbs of Ke. and I am sure it won't bounce off the skin!!
Not saying arrows will bounce off. What we're suggesting is that at 5 gr. per poundyour bow may very well be the next one to explode.[:'(][&:]
Most bows these days can handle 5gpp arrows without difficulty. No bow manufacturer in their right mind would warranty a bow down to 5gpp if it any way posed a danger to the shooter. Give the bow companies some credit.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Most bows these days can handle 5gpp arrows without difficulty. No bow manufacturer in their right mind would warranty a bow down to 5gpp if it any way posed a danger to the shooter. Give the bow companies some credit.
5 gpp is the standard warranty, meaning if they do explode...they will replace it. If all these bows could easily handle 5 gpp, warranties wouldnt even really be needed.

heavier arrows absorb more of the bows energy, meaning less energy left to do damage on the bows components. very simplistic physics.

5 gpp can easily be shot, but is the BARE minimum...unless you are the infamous king, he is allowed much less.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

5 gpp is the standard warranty, meaning if they do explode...they will replace it. If all these bows could easily handle 5 gpp, warranties wouldnt even really be needed.

heavier arrows absorb more of the bows energy, meaning less energy left to do damage on the bows components. very simplistic physics.

5 gpp can easily be shot, but is the BARE minimum...unless you are the infamous king, he is allowed much less.
I would have to counter, if that 5gpp arrowwould put any undo stress or increase risk to the shooter, that minimum would be higher. It would be much more cost effective just to make that minimum 5.5 or even 6gpp. The fact that bow companies DO warranty to 5gpp indicates that there is cushion of safety. Stay within the limitations set by the manufacturer, and you should be gtg. Certainly, their engineers know a heck of alot more than I do.
And Quick shoots his sub 5gpp arrows because his bow is warrantied for arrows well below that. I'm not aware of any reports of his equipment blowing up in his face. If I recall correctly, he's got a few nice trophy's on the wall thanks to his sub 300grain arrows.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 PM

all the down-range kinetic energy,weight, or penetration capabilities are worth a hill of beans if the buck jumps the string of your slowpoke[:'(]240fps bow and is in the next county when your 500+gr. log of an arrow finally gets there!!! my 74 lb. switchback xt drives 27" maxima 350's(2"blazers,100gr.tips) which weigh 368gr(a hair under 5gr/lb. of draw weight)I've probably shot 4000 arrows with NO troubles!!!the bow sports a five pin sight with which I can ,with equal ease,hita six inch ring at twenty or sixty yards!! let's see a 54lb. bow with a 500 gr. arrow do that!as for penetration,all four deer I killed last year(two bucks,two does)were clean pass through shots.and none came close to jumping the string!!even at 40 yards!!!!! heavier arrows may be able to "shoot through a dodge engine" but an engine doesn't have the reflexes of a 5yr. old whitetail buck!!!! the new parallel limb bows have much less limb travel and tonsmorebuilt in vibe absorbthan older bow designs,therefore can withstand lighter arrows without damage.shoot a mathews,then we'll talk
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Ya'll go right ahead with those itsy bitsy arrows. Just don't tell us you weren't warned. I could care less if you want a cam cutting on your noggin. You want to push the envelope at the bottom end, no skin off my nose, or eye, or ear, or cheek or lip. As far as the remark about a deer jumping the string, you obviously haven't hunted all that much if you believe that 300 fps is going to make that all go away. Many of us have shot them with recurves over and over. Bowhunting is NOT about speed.... it really isn't.

Quick Reply: Arrow too heavy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.