HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow too heavy??
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Doegirl75

Default RE: Arrow too heavy??

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I shoot 300gr. at 60lbs 65 ft/lbs of Ke. and I am sure it won't bounce off the skin!!
Not saying arrows will bounce off. What we're suggesting is that at 5 gr. per poundyour bow may very well be the next one to explode.[:'(][&:]
Most bows these days can handle 5gpp arrows without difficulty. No bow manufacturer in their right mind would warranty a bow down to 5gpp if it any way posed a danger to the shooter. Give the bow companies some credit.
5 gpp is the standard warranty, meaning if they do explode...they will replace it. If all these bows could easily handle 5 gpp, warranties wouldnt even really be needed.

heavier arrows absorb more of the bows energy, meaning less energy left to do damage on the bows components. very simplistic physics.

5 gpp can easily be shot, but is the BARE minimum...unless you are the infamous king, he is allowed much less.
I would have to counter, if that 5gpp arrowwould put any undo stress or increase risk to the shooter, that minimum would be higher. It would be much more cost effective just to make that minimum 5.5 or even 6gpp. The fact that bow companies DO warranty to 5gpp indicates that there is cushion of safety. Stay within the limitations set by the manufacturer, and you should be gtg. Certainly, their engineers know a heck of alot more than I do.
And Quick shoots his sub 5gpp arrows because his bow is warrantied for arrows well below that. I'm not aware of any reports of his equipment blowing up in his face. If I recall correctly, he's got a few nice trophy's on the wall thanks to his sub 300grain arrows.