Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on where i should hunt >

Question on where i should hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on where i should hunt

Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Question on where i should hunt

Hello my name is Josh. I am 16 years old and i have an archery hunt over at this wildlife refuge that i got drawn for and its next weekend. There is a ton of deer over there and im really looking forward to it. They opened the area up for scouting this weekend and we went over today and looked at it. Its got alot of corn fields,soybean fields and saugram(spelling?) fields. What should i be looking for when im over there scouting? Please go into as much detail as possible. Im just looking for some good info on where you guys would be looking at for possible stand placement.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on where i should hunt

1. i would find the WMA on Google Earth..and study it..looking for creek beds etc..

2...for me it would depend upon how many other hunters will be there..I always get away from the other hunters and start there..

3. I'd look for heavy trails of deer scat ..and rubs on trees..find a trail going into heavy cover where they will be bedding.

NOW..if this area was not pressured..I'd be hunting around those food plots..

Summary..depends on the pressure..most hunters will be set up around those food plots on busy deer trails..I hunt wet , thick places where they bed my self..or funnels..{ a skinny crossover area between 2 thick patches of woods. }

Good luck

oh..and #3..I honestly pray and ask God to lead me adn bless my hunt..he does
Proverbs 3:6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am hunting a fish and wildlife area with similer set up at first i found a couple of sorgum and clover fields figured that will be a good spot.
I have since found 5 more clover sorgum fields three bean fields and a corn field all on public land. I stopped looking i would do as chuck said go to google earth or even just google maps pull it up and check it out mark the field and look for creeks. I just set up my stand on a creek 50 yards in the wood off a field by a sorgum field right across the creek is a thick bedding area.

good luck find some water source.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:22 PM

We found a swamp in between two corn fields, its about 50 yards across. We noticed alot of deer activity in there. Would that be a possible stand site? and no this area hasn't been pressured this will be the first hunt that will be had here. Also what is the signifigance of the creek beds?
[align=left] [/align]