Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Chigger Repellent? >

Chigger Repellent?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chigger Repellent?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chigger Repellent?

Does anyone know of any type of a Chigger Repellent? Im fixing to head to Maryland next week, and I was told by the one guy I'm friends with, That Theirs a big time chigger problem down there and he diddnt offer any solution, so is there anyone who Knows of something that you can spray on that dosent spook game and repels chiggers?

Ryan.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chigger Repellent?

in all honesty.... rubber boots are your best friend. Also, wear short socks if you can. I use the fresh earth smelling bug spray if I have to. The most important part is that you take a shower as soon as you come out of the woods and scrub the "chigger regions" very well.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wont be able to take a shower I dont think cause Were going to be camping, and all i'm taking are my rubber boots so that sorta just works out well... IF you have to could you PM me where the "Chigger Regions" are?

Ryan.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

go to walmart and buy Permothin(that is spelled wrong but it is something like that or Permonen) It is with the bug spray, most people on here will agree that it works. It is so strong that on the bottle it tells you do not spray on your skin. You spray it on your clothes and let them dry before you wear them. It is the best stuff in the world and its scent free after it dries.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Peramone. Does wonders. Won't leave home without it.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Duranon ....awsome stuff

Old 09-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy is correct I read up on those little buggers on the internet!! Changing yours and not wearing the same over and over will help also it said!!Walt
Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting a checkle out of this Spelling BEE. It's Permanone and it does do just as these guys said. Takes care of deer ticks, too. I've been using it for years.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

permadone, get the yellow and green can with the green cap.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

It is spelled Permanone. Permanoneand Duranon are simply marketing names for the exact same insecticide. Let me say that again. It is an insecticide; not a repellent, even though Sawyer and Repel advertise them as a repellent. Deet is a repellent.

What you want to look for is the active ingredient in both which is PERMETHRIN. Permethrin uses clothing as the delivery system for it to work as an insecticide. So you have to put it on until it is soaking wet and then dries. You can't just spray it on and walk into the field and expect it to work like Deet. Yes, Deet smells, Permethrin smells very little to not at all when dry. Both have pro's and cons', but you have to know what they do and how they do it for either of them to be effective.

So what does this mean? Permethrin products will kill insects when they come in contact with the delivery system. Deet will repel insects, but not kill them. The most effective method is to use both. Does it spook deer to use Deet? Some say yes, some say no. I don't know myself, but if I had the problem and was worried about the smell of Deet, I would use permethrin impregnated clothing tucked into rubber boots tightly.