Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Poll...Scent and playing the Wind >

Poll...Scent and playing the Wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poll...Scent and playing the Wind

Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default Poll...Scent and playing the Wind

Just curious about what most people do as far as scent elimination and playing the wind.

I only hunt spots with a favorable wind and also use soaps and sprays to help eliminate scent.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poll...Scent and playing the Wind

One of the reasons I started this poll is that I was curiousas tohow many feel that so called scent eliminating products discount the importance of playing the wind "forget the wind and just hunt".

I myself believe that hunting in favorable winddirectionsis more important than all other factors in this poll.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try and play the wind and all that, but I hunt in a creek bottom where it just swirls anyway, so I don't even try to think about it. I just soap, spray, and use my Scent Lok, I am not a 100% believer in the Scent Lok, I know how carbon works, and you need hotter than a drier to re-activate it, but it was marked down, I got the jacket and pants for $50.00 total, so what the hell, I bought it
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I keep all my gear in a bag of leaves and use the soaps all throughout the season even when I am not hunting I Do Not Use the scent lok gear and I see deer the majority of the time even when the wind is against me. the key is what you smell like adjust your diest No spicy foods Garlic especially eat lots of nuts and grains your smell is associated to your diet, and most of your scent comes from your mouth so keep frindly flavors in candy to the animals and you'll be fine
Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using X-scent base layers and socks for a few years now and they are as good as I can find and cool enough to wear in the early season. I am thoroughly impressed with these things and would recommend them to ANYONE wanting to increase their opportunity in the woods. And for the record, I DO NOT PLAY THE WIND anymore as I've been caught when it swirled and not gotten busted a few times, and come to realize that this stuff is really that good. I also wear a facemask to cut down on any odor emitted from my breath, and I CHEW loose leaf, Redman, Levi Garrett, etc nearly every time afield, and I've many times had deer lick up my spit puddle beneath my stand, so I don't think it adversely affects anything. I also wash ALL of my clothes, including bed sheets, and everyday clothes in scent-free detergent, and use scent-free softener and sheets, and I keep my hunting boots in their original box away from any possible "contaminants," and use Earth scent or buck urine for a cover. I quit using doe urine when I noticed it put deer on edge, thinking about it, a "Strange doe" is usually un-nerving to a deer herd, so knowing that bucks are far more nomadical and far more solo-ists, I switched to see if it would improve things and it has considerably.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I quit using doe urine when I noticed it put deer on edge, thinking about it, a "Strange doe" is usually un-nerving to a deer herd, so knowing that bucks are far more nomadical and far more solo-ists, I switched to see if it would improve things and it has considerably.
Interesting.....might have to try that.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I quit using doe urine when I noticed it put deer on edge, thinking about it, a "Strange doe" is usually un-nerving to a deer herd, so knowing that bucks are far more nomadical and far more solo-ists, I switched to see if it would improve things and it has considerably.
Interesting.....might have to try that.
I read about it a couple years before I did it, but I was always too bull-headed to try it. Then a couple seasons ago, I was re-reading some articles and came across it, and remembered deer spooking when they got near my "foreigner" doe urine and decided to change strategies. So far, it's worked pretty well. I've been able to get REAL close to some animals without MY SCENT scaring them, by using a buck's scent to help mask it. I had probably 10 deer within 10yds of me while ground hunting last year without any man-made or natural blinds, just leaning against trees minding my own business. But good camo also helps a little.