Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you define "effective range?" >

How do you define "effective range?"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define "effective range?"

Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you define "effective range?"

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Get your hunting clothes on.

Screw on your broadeads.

Climb your treestand, and place a 3d target at 30 yards.

You get ONE arrow.

If you hitBOTH lungs I'll give you $100.

If you MISS the lungs, YOU give ME $1,000.

Would you take that bet? If not, 30 yards is beyond your "effective range".
Interesting way to look at it

Interesting way of putting it. I'm not even sure I would take that bet at 20yds (although I'm almost positive I could hit it). Not to say the risk of a monetary loss is greater than wounding a live animal, but your scenario (in my case) wouldn't be a true measurement of my effective range. I'm not a gambling man, or much of a risk taker for that matter
You really wouldn't take that bet even at 20 yards? Really all the bet is asking is whether or not you believe that you can hit your mark, under hunting conditions, 90% of the time or better.

If you can't do that, I'd say that distance is beyond your effective range.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cooter144

To me "effective range" is the range that I am VERY confident in making a good clean killing shot on an animial.

Currently I would say my effective range is 30 yards even though I have killed a couple at longer distances.
Cooter,

Would you take the bet I mentioned above, since your effective range is 30 yards?
Your bet has little to do with hunting situations.

I will tell you that I have taken 30+ animals at ranges from 10-35 yards and have only lost one (hit the shoulder blade on a twenty yard shot where the deer was on a slow walk).

Nobody is perfect and a bad shot can happen at any range.

I could sit in a tree stand and shoot some pretty tight groups from thirty yards and the kill zone on a 3d target is pretty big...so hmm...maybe I would be willing to steal your $100.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

Interesting way of putting it. I'm not even sure I would take that bet at 20yds (although I'm almost positive I could hit it). Not to say the risk of a monetary loss is greater than wounding a live animal, but your scenario (in my case) wouldn't be a true measurement of my effective range. I'm not a gambling man, or much of a risk taker for that matter
You really wouldn't take that bet even at 20 yards? Really all the bet is asking is whether or not you believe that you can hit your mark, under hunting conditions, 90% of the time or better.

It's not so much about the fact of whether or not I can or can't hit it. I can hit the 2" Morrell dots pretty much everytime at 20yds. My comment was more about placing a monetary bet on the shot. Pressure like that can do a lot to people that don't handle it well. I doubt I would be pressured enough to miss a lung shot at that distance, but you never know. I'm not risking $1,000 over it, and that's the point
Old 09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

It's not so much about the fact of whether or not I can or can't hit it. I can hit the 2" Morrell dots pretty much everytime at 20yds. My comment was more about placing a monetary bet on the shot. Pressure like that can do a lot to people that don't handle it well. I doubt I would be pressured enough to miss a lung shot at that distance, but you never know. I'm not risking $1,000 over it, and that's the point
Isn't there also alot of pressure when you're shooting at a live animal? To me, this bet is the best way to simulate a live hunting situation: one shot (no practice), from a treestand, with broadheads, at a 3d target, AND the added element of pressure. At least you know the target isn't doing to duck the string!

Personally I'd rather lose $1,000 on a bet than wound an animal. My maximum effective range is that maximum range that I'd be willing to accept this bet. For me, that's about 25 yards.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

Isn't there also alot of pressure when you're shooting at a live animal? To me, this bet is the best way to simulate a live hunting situation: one shot (no practice), from a treestand, with broadheads, at a 3d target, AND the added element of pressure. At least you know the target isn't doing to duck the string!

Personally I'd rather lose $1,000 on a bet than wound an animal. My maximum effective range is that maximum range that I'd be willing to accept this bet. For me, that's about 25 yards.
You must have more money or ethics than me. No offense, but I can only imagine the brow beating my wife would give me if I lost a grand. I won't shoot past 30 in the best case scenario, most of my stands are set up for 20 yard and closer shots.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

I love that analogy, and wouldn't mind making a quick $100.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

I love that analogy, and wouldn't mind making a quick $100.
Can I double the wager?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

See my original post to you...

Not to say the risk of a monetary loss is greater than wounding a live animal
I see what you're saying, but I don't think the pressure put on me by the risk of losing $1,000, is the same as that of missing/wounding an animal in the woods. Let me rephrase that, they both put pressure on you, but the way I (and that's the key word)...the way I would handle a situation when in the back of my mind I'm putting $1000 on the line compared to being in the woods with the adrenalin pumping through me with a deer at 30yds. You certainly have a point, and I'm not here to prove anyone wrong, I'm just telling you right now that I would not handle a situation where I was shooting for $1000 the same as I would if a deer was in my "effective" range. How you handle situations like that varies with each person just as much as everyone's effective range does.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just thought about it some more after shooting all these months...20yds, I think I would take the $1000 risk 30yds...who knows. So maybe 20 is truly my effective range
Old 09-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw on your broadeads.

You get ONE arrow.

I think that is a great way to determine your "effective range". Mine is 25 yards also and I'll take that bet all day .