Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Max. Effective Range...

Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Max. Effective Range...

I just bought a new turkey choke which I believe is an undertaker with a .665 constriction. I tested the pattern and at 35 yds. I had 34 hits in the head/neck with Rem. #4.I only had a few shells left so I didn't get to test out at any further ranges. What do you think my Max. Effective range would be?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Max. Effective Range...

it flies,

If you had 34 pellets in the head and neck area, how many was (if your target shows them) actually in the brain and spinal cord area. I would think several, that's how I count them, strictly brain and spine hits. Sounds like you've got a good set up. I personally set my sights and pattern from 35 yds and then check it out to forty, no further.

dog1
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you use 10yard testing range shots like 20-30-40 that gives you a good idea how much shot % you lose every step back. Starting at 30 yards that would be an average range that you would need the most. All though the head and neck area require the shot dencity to kill you also want that tight even pattern around that area.

A 1 foot circle is a good indication that the area around a gobblers head will help for any slite move in a shot. You will notice that your shot % will drop at 40+ yards so really testing your gun at the 40-45 yards is a better indicator as to wheather your pattern and gun will handle your shells at that range...BT
Old 05-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You believe it's an undertaker? Just stick some hevi shot in there and you won't have to worry about distance.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothin wrong with killin themAT 35 yards!!!Untested patterns past 40 yards is what creates cripples and wise gobblers.Theres a big difference between knowing what your gun can do and absolutely will do!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM

I don't believe the .665 is rated for hevishot. The hevishot undertaker is around .675 I believe. So I won't try those and with just a few days left in his season switching loads and checking his pattern probably isn't an option.

It's amazing what a big different 5 yards make once you get out beyond 30 yards. It amazes me every spring that I spend at the patterning board testing out loads. I wouldn't press it much past where you patterned it at 35.

My son's winchester with the undertaker really likes #6 shot and nothing else. Believe me when I say I've put many rounds through it to check this out. He's getting 50+ head neck hits(15-22 bone hits) at 40 yards with it. Personally I won't push it past that mark with the HV #6 due to retained energy.

I guess what I'm getting at is you really won't know unless you check it out yourself in your gun. You either need to hit the pattern board or call them within 35 yards in my opinion.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until I switched to Winchester X-tended's, my maximum range with lead was 35 yards. The pattern opens up too much IMO, after 30 yards, regardless of manufacturer.

As some have said, you will be amazed at how drastic your pattern changes between 35 and 40 yards. Most hunters also typically want a 5 yard "buffer" between judged distance and the actual distance simply because at 5:30am, with low light conditions, 5 yards is easily misjudged by most people.

Best bet is to get back to the board and test at 40, 45, and 50 yards.

If you cant---then don't shoot past 35 yards, preferrably keep it to 30, just in case you misjudge by 5-10 yards
Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I pattern my gun at 25 yards and at 40 yards. Myself I wouldnt go for any shot over 50 yards. I believe I can take one at 60 but I wont push it cause I dont want to wound or cripple a bird.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM

Thanks a lot everyone for all your reply's. I didn't get any shots at turkeys today and tomorrow is the last day of my season. I am hoping to see that big gobbler come in but I guess ya never know whats going to happen when it comes to turkey hunting. I sure hope that I can get the birds to close the distance for a decent shot... or at least hear some! I will let ya'll know how I do. Thanks again