Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you define "effective range?" >

How do you define "effective range?"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define "effective range?"

Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Default How do you define "effective range?"

Not an uncommon question here discusses how far would we shoot an animal w/ our archery tackle. This answer varies greatly, of course, and IMO there is no wrong answer.

But, what we don't do is DEFINE "effective range." I have no right to tell anyone else what that exact distance is, but we CAN define it. Is it "comfort level?" Does it change from archer to archer and day to day?

All I bowhunt are deer. So, I've defined "effective range" as the maximum distance I can hit an 8" circle 100% of the time. There's no doubt in my mind that today's archery gear is more than capable of killing a deer @ distances in excess of 100 yards, but just because my bow is capable doesn't mean I'm going to.

So, does that sound like a fair definition? How do you personally define "effective range?" I'm not so much interested in what that distance is as I am it's definition.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you define "effective range?"

I am not sure it can be defined, there are too many variables involved. I feel that this will change with every opportunity that is presented in the woods.

Edit: I re-read it.... I would say that your def. is close but for me I would tighten the group to say 4"......Just my thought on it...
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

So, does that sound like a fair definition?
Honestly, NO. If it was 100%, you would never miss. I know accomplished hunters who've whiffed from inside 10yds. Now....that being said.....did they "miss" their intended spot? Probably not. The spot just moved If that's the caveat....I'll buy in.

I defineit as beingthe distance I have complete confidence I can kill the deer I'm shooting at from.

I am not sure it can be defined, there are too many variables involved. I feel that this will change with every opportunity that is presented in the woods.
That was well stated.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I setup all my stands for 20 yds shots, I call it the kill zone. Ones a deer is in the zone, he or she is in range.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Effective range to me is when you can put that arrow exactly or very close to where you want every time you shoot. My effective range is 10 to 12 yards with my recurve. I can almost guarantee that when I let that arrow go Its going exactly where I'm looking on that animal.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So, does that sound like a fair definition?
Honestly, NO. If it was 100%, you would never miss. I know accomplished hunters who've whiffed from inside 10yds. Now....that being said.....did they "miss" their intended spot? Probably not. The spot just moved If that's the caveat....I'll buy in.

I defineit as beingthe distance I have complete confidence I can kill the deer I'm shooting at from.

That was well stated.
I think that's what mobow meant by his post? Maybe not, but the way I interpreted it it was, thus meaning I agree with both you, esp. your post- word word as a matter of fact.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although I feel the 100% mentioned was on the target range, Jeff does have a point, that in the heat of the moment, 100% doesn't always hold true. For me, it's a matter of COMFORT, but more or less CONFIDENCE. A range (for me about 25yds and in), that I'm very comfortable and CONFIDENT in my abilities. Even though you can't guarantee 100% accuracy in the field, you better be thinking you're 100% accurate at that range when you draw back. You know, it's a mental thing
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Effective range changes for me according to conditions of the hunt as well. I *might* take a shot out to 40 yards - or even 42 or 43 yards - if the conditions are close to perfect. There have been times I have been in a tree and knew there was no way I would take a shot over 25 yards because it was so windy and my tree was swaying so much.

I think my definition of effective range would be the distance I can confidently make the type of lethal shot I want, taking into account hunting conditions, about 98% of the time. Why not 100%? I think there are just too many variable to say "I can get the same results from this situation 100 times out of 100 times."
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can I see the deer?

Seriously, my true effective range is probably a bit farther than the range at which I choose to shoot at a deer.
On paper I know I am perfectly capable of killing a deer at 40-45 yds with no wind, open shot, known yardage, relaxed deer and good light. However I just choose not to shoot at one that far. Typically the max range that I will attempt a shot is 25 yds. That is not to say if faced with a perfect condition 30-32 yds shot that I won’t 100% not take it. I’ve made that shot before, but I’ve also passed on many more like it. It’ll be a game time decision.

I don’t worry about specific group sizes or % of shots within the bull, I just know if I am aiming for something and I always hit it, that’s good. If I miss my mark on more than just a rare occurrence, then maybe I need more work at that range.

I am hunting elk this year and with a bigger & traditionally less jumpy target, I will not hesitate on a 45 yds shot with optimal conditions.

Longbow confidence range is around 20-22 yds at targets but likely only to be 15-18 yds at a deer.

Recurve 15 yds at a live critter.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Even though you can't guarantee 100% accuracy in the field, you better be thinking you're 100% accurate at that range when you draw back. You know, it's a mental thing
Thats a very good point - you put it very well.

Quick Reply: How do you define "effective range?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.