Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem >

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

Old 09-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Default RE: Field Point vs. Broadhead flight/grouping problem

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Ahhhhhhh, now this may be my problem. When I bought my Arizona E-Z fletch I mistakenly picked up a "straight"...and for alum arrows at that...and I shoot carbon. [8D] Guess I was not paying very close attention that day.
I have since ordered a new jig and will put right helical on my arrows when it comes in. As such, I probably won't feel comfortable until I do and therefore may end up missing opening day. [:@][&o]
Ah ha! sounds like you found your culprit, or at least a major factor. I never did like those EZ Fletchers. This will likely solve the group size issue but the point of impact of the group is still going to be a tuning issue with the bow. You should read the Easton tuning guide or at least the broadhead tuning section of it.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Shooting low doesn't mean you aren't "tuned", necessarily. It could mean you need to make a simple sight adjustment. If your arrow is flying true....and your center shot is correct....a sight adjuatment is ALL that is needed in this instance.

Also....a rest adjustment is WAYyyyyy more simple than a nock point adjustment....and a sight adjustment is WAyyyy more simple than either the nock point OR the rest adjustment (especially if it isn't needed).
I don't know how you figure that, but whatever. Shooting low or high is no different than shooting left or right. Something is off. Why would someone go thru the trouble to tune their bow for bh's hitting left or right, but not up or down? Also not sure what centershot has to do with a broadhead hitting low or high either. As far as nock pt adjustment...I can adjust mine in a matter of maybe 5 seconds. Not sure what is involved with yours, but I simply get the nock pliers out, loosen, move, tighten.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Ah ha! sounds like you found your culprit, or at least a major factor. I never did like those EZ Fletchers. This will likely solve the group size issue but the point of impact of the group is still going to be a tuning issue with the bow. You should read the Easton tuning guide or at least the broadhead tuning section of it.
Agree completely. The tuning guide oughta be required reading with a test for anyone that wants to bowhunt. It is simply invaluable, IMO. I do like the EZ fletcher though...I have been using the same one for the last 19 or so years, even though I have the original (for aluminums) it works fine for carbons, just gotta be careful closing it.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know how you figure that, but whatever. Shooting low or high is no different than shooting left or right. Something is off.
And all I said was it could be as simple as a sight adjustment.

Why would someone go thru the trouble to tune their bow for bh's hitting left or right, but not up or down?
They wouldn't. I never addressed those issues.

Also not sure what centershot has to do with a broadhead hitting low or high either.
I mentioned checking center shot when you touted moving the rest and nocking point as a "fix" for hitting low. Assuming center shot and spineare correct.....you need to adjust your sight. Period. Center shot, first. Sight adjustment last. I would never adjust my nocking point without checking center shot/level....and simply hitting low wouldn't tell me the nock set or rest was "off", necessarily. I'd also ALWAYS adjust rest height first (before nocking point) if it were feasible.

As far as nock pt adjustment...I can adjust mine in a matter of maybe 5 seconds. Not sure what is involved with yours, but I simply get the nock pliers out, loosen, move, tighten.
I don't use a brass nocking point, either. But I'd still ask you why you wouldn't simply adjust your rest height. For me....(and I have to assume you don't shoot a D-loop)...."I'd" have to remove the servedin nock sets I have above and below my nocking point. Remove my D-loop. Tie in a new upper and lower nocking point....and tie on a new D-loop. I'd rather simply adjust my rest height if it's feasible to do so.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM

I mentioned checking center shot when you touted moving the rest and nocking point as a "fix" for hitting low. Assuming center shot and spineare correct.....you need to adjust your sight. Period. Center shot, first. Sight adjustment last. I would never adjust my nocking point without checking center shot/level....and simply hitting low wouldn't tell me the nock set or rest was "off", necessarily. I'd also ALWAYS adjust rest height first (before nocking point) if it were feasible.
If you say so...

The guy's broadheads are hitting low as compared to fp's. He needs to adjust his rest or nock pt - if it was me, that is what I would do - period. I would never adjust my sight in his situation. According to your statement in bold above,someone's set uphypothetically couldbe a half inch or more nock high and you are saying adjust your sight "period". I guess if it works for you, then go with it.

Yes, the reason I would go for nock pt first is cause I do not shoot a loop.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

According to your statement in bold above,someone's set uphypothetically couldbe a half inch or more nock high and you are saying adjust your sight "period". I guess if it works for you, then go with it.
I consider "level" an aspect of "center shot"....and even said so.

I would never adjust my nocking point without checking center shot/level...
So....I stand by the bolded statement.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Ihad the same problem...Muzzys were ok..but Steel Force closed the group..They shoot so good that I only shoot one at a time..tired of rippping up fletching.
They are 3 for 30.00 ..but worth it..
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM

I consider "level" an aspect of "center shot"....and even said so.
I guess now I know why I was having such a hard time getting why you would say what you were saying....kind of.