Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If you are anti-mechanical.......why? >

If you are anti-mechanical.......why?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you are anti-mechanical.......why?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: If you are anti-mechanical.......why?

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

The one piece of equipment I have 100% faith in.
Sliver in another thread I need a full report on the HellRaiser
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Never shot a mechanical. Why change what ain't broke!!

Over the years, I've shot Bear Razorheads, Satellites, Thunderhead 125, Thunderhead 100 and since 2003, 100 Grain Slick Trick Mags. Now I am planning a field test of a 100 grain Grizztrick this Saturday on the GA opener. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why change what ain't broke!!
Over the years, I've shot Bear Razorheads, Satellites, Thunderhead 125, Thunderhead 100 and since 2003, 100 Grain Slick Trick Mags. Now I am planning a field test of a 100 grain Grizztrick this Saturday on the GA opener.
Now I'm really confused?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM

I have used both, this year I'm back to fixed (muzzy mx-4). I just like the idea of less moving parts. I have used spitfires and tekans both with good results. Only problem I had was that the tekans would sometimes catch on my quiver and open when I was taking an arrow out. I have killed deer with, thunder heads, tekans, spitifres, muzzys, G-4's all with no problems. I just wanted to change this year so I'm trying the mx-4's. I think I prefer fixed though, just think they look cooler and that's what really matters right?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 AM

Well, I'm not going to go back and check what numbers they are, but my reasons for not using mechanicals are:

I don't feel I shoot enough KE for them on deer/hogs

I believe in Murphy's law and want as few moving parts as possible

Not a hater, they just aren't for me inMOST situations.

I do have one exception though, and it may or may not make sense, but I do keep a couple NAP Shockwaves in my quiver for turkeys. I think in that situation they add some more thump to the bird and I'm not worried about having enough KE for turkeys.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot trad, expandables aren't reliable for me and won't kill the deer any deader.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I'm not going to go back and check what numbers they are, but my reasons for not using mechanicals are:

I don't feel I shoot enough KE for them on deer/hogs

I believe in Murphy's law and want as few moving parts as possible

Not a hater, they just aren't for me inMOST situations.
I'm assuming you haven't ever used one on a deer, then? Is this correct?

I shoot trad, expandables aren't reliable for me and won't kill the deer any deader.
Again....I'm assuming you've never used one....and for your set-up....with good reason.

8. My bow/setup doesn't push enough KE to shoot them.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM

I really want to hear from you if you have had a mech fail. Not someone you know!!!!!! You personally had one fail. Let's see how many people will tell us. I don't want to hear about some dude your cousin knows crap, if you have had one fail tell us. We will see just how many people have had an issue. It seems a lot of people use them with no issues at all.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post GMMAT, I always wondered why some are haters and valor really shows true colors. I have hunted for 33 years now and I have107 deer kills 88 by bow andonly 7 that I have lost and all 7 came from fixedblades,should I throw all that shoot fixed blades underwagon?? No it was me. Valor Ihave shot mech's for the last 6 years now and have killed a book buck all six and under 20 yards so why throw all that shot mech's in the same boat? ignorence!!! If you would like to shoot some time bring it on and I will let you pick the broadhead we shoot fixed size two blade three blade mech's you pick because some of us idots that shoot mech's can tune a bow.. If you want to know why I choose to shoot mech's is because I don't care who you are trying to fool but if you are telling me that at 12 yards you will never miss I will step up and call you the liar you are. When you are staring down a 160 or 180 class buck sh#t happens and when it does I want that big ole hole punched into that buck becauseNOBODY puts the perfect shot everytime and I mean NOBODY!! Just my two cents, if you want to shoot fixed for your own reasons great but don't go and put everyone in the same boat with shooting farther and can't tune a bow.. Sorry GMMAT I can't vote because I love mech's but if I had to pick a fixed blade for your vote it would be a thunder head shot them for 18 years and loved them!!Walt
Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM

That is correct Jeff, I have never used one on deer because my KE is in the low 50's, and I do not feel it would be ethical for me to do so. Like I said, not a hater, they just aren't for me and my setup.

A hunter needs to have confidence in his setup. The stingers and slick trick mags I have been using give me confidence, because they have done the job for me. They are tough, and reliable, and I see no need to change to something that in all probability would lower the reliability of my lower energy setup. The rule of thumb I seem to keep coming across is that you need about 60# ofKE to reliably shoot mech's, and I am well under that. Just as simple as that.

Edit to add:
I should say I am not against mechanicals in general, I am against mechanicals for most things in MY setup.

Quick Reply: If you are anti-mechanical.......why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.