Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If shed hunting was illegal in your state... >

If shed hunting was illegal in your state...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If shed hunting was illegal in your state...

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Default If shed hunting was illegal in your state...

Would you still do it? What's the harm?

The reason I ask is because I heard that this was the case in Va. I was at the local bow shop and heard this from Jim Crumley (trebark inventor). It caught my attention because he seems to be a reputable guy and I love to shed hunt. He was told this from a game warden. He has emailed the folks at VDGIF to see what the deal is.

I read over the whole Reg. book this evening and couldn't find a thing relating to this. Unless it is implied by the following.

[ul][*]Possess or transport any wild bird or wild animal or the carcass or the parts thereof, unless specifically allowed and only in accordance with regulations.[*]Sell or purchase any wild bird or wild animal carcass or parts thereof, except as specifically permitted by law.[/ul]
Thoughts???
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If shed hunting was illegal in your state...

it was illegal in PA until recently....

still illegal to take a "dead head" from the woods....

kind of their way of helping to enforce poaching....if your caught carrying a head or antlers from the woods, they can possibly assume it was poached...gives them probable cause for farther investigation...if its found that you didnt poach, you'll still likely get the citation/penalty for taking the shed or dead head from the woods....that would be MY guess....
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd argue it wasn't a "part" of him. Hell he dropped it!

No.2 only says you can't sell it.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:22 PM

You know...now that I think about it, I don't think this is true. The buck that I shot and did not find until March is a perfect example. I called the warden and got it tagged, for taxidermy purposes. If this was law; then I would not have been able to do this. As far as bringing out dead heads goes. Sheds would be basically the same deal.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

In Wyoming you can shed hunt. I don't know why it would be illegal at any time because it is a natural cause of dropping antlers. It is very easy to tell a shed VS Cutting one off a head.

If you find an animal in the forest you must contact the Game and Fish to get an interstate game tag for the deer. They ask you questions and then may or may not come investigate the body for foul play. Most of the time they will tell you to take it and bring it to the office for the tag. It is considered illegal to take a skull due to possible disturbing a poaching scene.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly hope not. I won't have any other way to spend my January February March and April! I LOVE to horn huntin.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh man, I found a shed on my property....guess because the government says I can't pick it up I won't...not.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Oh man, I found a shed on my property....guess because the government says I can't pick it up I won't...not.
I'm with you on that one brother!