Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Earn a Buck in PA >

Earn a Buck in PA

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a Buck in PA

Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Earn a Buck in PA

what would you PA guys think if it was a Earn a buck state? i know where i live it wouldent be bad becuase the state hires snipers to thin herds in the off season but then again i really like the way it is if u want to shoot a doe buy a tag if not shoot your buck
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Earn a Buck in PA

ORIGINAL: robdre56

what would you PA guys think if it was a Earn a buck state? i know where i live it wouldent be bad becuase the state hires snipers to thin herds in the off season but then again i really like the way it is if u want to shoot a doe buy a tag if not shoot your buck
But, there are areas where does do not need shot, it's so area specific and it's punishing some for others areas.

I'd feel pretty confident I could take a doe opening day every year however, I don't feel my area needs does taken.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

me to and i dont want a earn a buck reg just wanted to see what ppl thought

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would work well in my area (WMU 5-D) whereyou can getunlimited antlerless tags. Obviously too many deer. This would make people focus on killing a doe to be able to take a buck, instead of them being able to justkill the first "legal" buck they see. This would bring down deer numbers, which is one of their goals, and it would provide more food for the remaining herd. Making it a healthier herd, and leaving more bucks that can become larger, and more mature, in the long run. I'm all for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

yeah im in 5c i really want them to get rid of the snipers and let us hunt but that dont work
Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate earn a buck, esp. when you have to watch them walk by and can't do anything about it cause you haven't shot a doe yet.[:@]
Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

I hate earn a buck, esp. when you have to watch them walk by and can't do anything about it cause you haven't shot a doe yet.[:@]
If you've killed enough deer in the past, that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

In Wisconsin it is only certain counties, and it seems to be working to some degree..I doubt anything like that will happen in Pennsylvania as this state is having issues with point restrictions and Sunday Hunting
Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i been screaming earn a buck since i could talk....IMO it would have been a muccccch better idea than the herd reduction methods that were used...alot of the guys that hunt the mountainous states travel FROM the now "special reg areas" to hunt in rifle season....many of them would have stayed home to crack their doe before heading to "camp" or would taken the doe in bow season at home etc...i can defnently see how more guys would taken does in SRAs because it would been much easier...i think the SRAs would been better off, as well as less does being killed in the mountainous areas....sounds great in threory...work out the details and i can see how it would easily worked....and it would have balanced the buck to doe ratio much more effectively, and quicker.....as well as worked on age class due to less bucks being taken ontop of ARs...i know if my area was EAB, and i filled my doe tag, id definetly hold out for a nicer buck than shooting the first basket rack that came by...

it would been hard to iron out details to ensure the mountainous areas didnt get shot up...maybe some encentives to take does in the SRAs and not so many in the mountainous areas or something...it could have been done better, more efficiently, and in a quicker time......buttttttt thats probably pretty much all politcs and such....and too complicated and time consuming than simply saying "issue more tags and get rid of alot of does"
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m not real sure how well EAB would work in PA. You couldn’t make it statewide. It would only be good in SRA’s and I don’t know how you’d enforce it for those who hunt in AND out of SRA’s.

Quick Reply: Earn a Buck in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.