Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 plz help..new to archery..rangefinder help >

plz help..new to archery..rangefinder help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

plz help..new to archery..rangefinder help

Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM

Default plz help..new to archery..rangefinder help

I am looking to purchase a rangefinder for archery because I'm not very effective at guessing distance : (.. I will not be hunting with guns only bowhunting and I am seeking advice as to the best (cost and effectiveness) rangefinder for bowhunting. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: plz help..new to archery..rangefinder help

ORIGINAL: RickV87

I am seeking advice as to the best (cost and effectiveness) rangefinder for bowhunting.
Any of the major brands are fine bushnell, nikon, leupold depending on budget. On the internet, try Bear Basin Outfitters. Or, your local Walmart will have an adequate selection. I would not recommend the angle compensating rangefinders unless you hunt in very steep terrain with longer shots.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick....I will be honest with you. When I first started bowhunting, I probably couldn't have seen a deer moving in quick, picked up a rangefinder...ranged, picked up my bow, aligned everything....then put everything together with the number I ranged. What I am trying to say is....keep everything simple when you first start bowhunting. For me, every full length step I take is approximately a yard. Start guessing distances wherever you go and are walking. For example, you are at the mall. You think something is 25 yards away from you. Just walk towards the object at a full stride and see how close you are....you will be surprised how fast you can range things if you practice 20X a day for several weeks. Just a little bit of advice if you need it.

Brett
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM

thaks for your help and advice!