Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses decoys? >

Who uses decoys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses decoys?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who uses decoys?

I keep tossing around the idea of a decoy. There is a large field that gets good buck traffic during the rut, but no predictability to it. The thought being a decoy may bring the buck in close for a shot.

It just seems like the dekes are too hit & miss. But I bet it would add some excitement.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I've got a new spot I'm gonna try one in this year......right time....right place.

JESUS ROB! That thing would scare the crap out of every buck in the state of Michigan LOL. Idon't think that would work for me. Do they make spike horn decoys?
But it won't be THAT one!....lol

That deer is bigger than anything in my woods.using that decoywould be like Stone cold Steve Austin going into a cub scout meeting looking for a fight.

Come late Oct......I wanna use one in these two spots. I'll be getting a small buck that I can remove one antler from.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

That's one badass decoy
I have been thinking of decoying, but is bigger better? Won't he just act like a scarecrow to any buck smaller than him?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been thinking of decoying, but is bigger better? Won't he just act like a scarecrow to any buck smaller than him?
Likely! I guess Rob's thinking...."Go Big.....or Go Home!"
Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Likely! I guess Rob's thinking...."Go Big.....or Go Home!"
Ya that sounds about right.[8D]

Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob,

I have used the carry-lite with good success in Illinois but never really used it around here because I don't ever hunt fields where I live. I really like the looks of that decoy and I don't think it is too big. It's on the bigger side but it's the most realistic looking decoy that I have seen (although I haven't looked at decoys in the last few years). I think the realism of the decoy will overcome the size. Now that being said, if they had a decoy that was as realistic looking but a little smaller then I may opt for the smaller decoy. But, I think you will be fine either way and I predict you will kill a 154" 10pt on the 3rd day of your hunt using the decoy that you postedGood luck buddy!! Nothing but good mojo coming your way!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had similar experiences (ILBH) with does the first year I used a decoy. They came to the edge of the field (about 30yds from the decoy) and then skirted the field in the woods.

The decoy stayed at home last year, but I'll probably try it again this year.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I had similar experiences (ILBH) with does the first year I used a decoy. They came to the edge of the field (about 30yds from the decoy) and then skirted the field in the woods.

The decoy stayed at home last year, but I'll probably try it again this year.
I'm guessing a DOE decoy?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, set up as a buck. ALOT smaller than the one Rob is looking at though.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting hanger.....because the "word" is that does spook on doe decoys, not buck decoys. I've admittedly never employed one....so I'll take you guys who have's word for it.

Food for thought. Thanks.

Does the fact that the does were timid make you leery of this setup? I can see it both ways. 1. Not caring...because you aren't hunting does. & 2. Leery because you want the does to remain in the area....and be at ease.

Interesting.....

Quick Reply: Who uses decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.