HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who uses decoys?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Scott/IL
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who uses decoys?

Last year was my first year of using a decoy.

I bought a Carry Lite with removable antlers. I used it as a doe and a buck throughout the year and had very good success. One particular morning I had a fork try to mount it, a 130 class 8 and a 1.5yr. 8 spar in front of it, then a 140 10 point come posturing in to it.

The key is getting it scent free. I would wash it with scent free soap after every hunt, store it in a shed where it wouldn't get stunk up, and then spray it down with scent killer as I set it up in the field. Also, make sure the deer aren't going to be downwind of it when approaching. This way they will have to circle it and probably offer you a shot. A doe should be faced away from as a buck will most of the time approach a doe from the rear and a buck facing you as a mature buck will posture in towards the opponents head.

Some does did not like the decoy however. I was set up on the field edge and would watch some does come 5-10 yards from the edge and stop before skirting around the field. Also had a 160 class stud 12 point not even pay any attention to it.

I didn't harvest a buck over the decoy last year, but it led to maybe the most exciting hunt I have had so far.