Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 carry a side arm? >

carry a side arm?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carry a side arm?

Old 03-12-2003, 12:37 PM

Default RE: carry a side arm?

Even with a ' permit to carry' it is illegal to carry during archery season in Pa.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:17 AM

does tha bear spray really work? my state won' t allow me to get a hangun ( but my father has one ) go figure. i would like to get something like that . just for a piece of mind.
i would hate to be walking to my stand and running into one of them on the ground.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your state will not allow you to have a handgun????
Do they consider you too young? or do you have a criminal background?

I' ve been packing a pistol since I was 15.
Not while bowhunting though, it' s illegal to do so in TEXAS during archery only season.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:36 AM

I carry a 357 in Idaho every time I go out. I have never had to use it but I would feel uneasy without it. To many mountain lions and bears around. You always hear a couple stories a year of somebody getting attacked.
BowElkDwn
Old 03-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:09 AM

No guns in MN when hunting with a bow.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:38 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

No guns in SD when bowhunting. I, personally wouldn' t carry one anyway, anything I wanted to shoot with a handgun would have to be close so I would fling an arrow. As for the bear spray, I hunt the Bob Marshall wilderness area in WY, about three miles from the Yellowstone border and it is full of bears. I don' t carry a handgun, I carry pepper spray. I don' t think I would be capable of doing anything but making the bear really mad with a handgun. If you don' t brain it you are dead, period. There are those out there capable of this but I think if we are honest with ourselves not many of us would fit the bill. Six shots with a .44 are going to do nothing but make a mad bear really mad unless you hit the brain. I' ll take my chances with the pepper spray, I sprayed some in the yard and I know I can hit him with that. From what I have seen the stuff works, thankfully I don' t know from first hand experience. If you use it make sure you get the stuff made for bears, not for people. You need to check local laws also as the stuff for bears is illegal in some states due to the concentration and heat units.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:08 AM

I am pretty sure in Texas it is illegal during archery only season UNLESS you have a conceal and carry license.

I carry one when bow hunting during rifle season on the off chance that I need to put a wounded deer down. Haven' t had to do it, but I would rather use a humane pistol shot than the alternatives.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:25 AM

in NC i pack a small .380 all the time. no matter what season. but i do have a conceal permit. but it wouldn' t matter.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

bowtex, I' ve got a cc license. But never thought to ask if one law would override the other. I' m not gonna chance it unless I see it in writing.

I' d love to be able to carry my wifes S&W airlite .38+p or my little PT911 with me for those early morning jaunts in the woods. Nothing worse than hear a pig/boar grunt or squeel at you as you make your way through his bedroom.

Quick Reply: carry a side arm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.