Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Lanes

Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Shooting Lanes

How big is your shooting lanes. Im hunting right on the edge of a field about 12 yards from the game trail that runs along the side. I wanted to put a lane 45 degrees to the right and left and dont bother with 1 straight out. I have really nice cover in front of me and dont want to lose it. Ill post some pice after I get back, and see how bad I screwed up
Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Lanes

I rarely if ever and try under ALL circumstances to avoid what you call a shooting lane. I cut NOTHING as my first second and third options. I'm a hole shooter. If there is a limb close to my stand I'll tie it off or something up at my level. I just don't like to change the scenery anymore than is necessary. I've seen gun hunters go in with chainsaws to clear shooting lanes. I mean, WHY???? If you can't squeeze a bullet traveling at 2800 fps threw a 2 foot hole you better give up. If you can find a hole in the brush to squeeze an arrow through at 20 yards, well the stand is in the wrong place, or there's an alternative place or something. Once in a rare thing I'll trim something. I had this one crossing of a creek in Maryland. This guy that hunted with Len and I for a year or two was having a hard time getting in front of a deer. I walked him in at midday and showed him this ditch crossing. I showed him the trees I'd use for West wind and East winds. I had shot a doe there the week before. So, he sits there and says he saw nothing. I couldn't believe it. I didn't hunt that day. Len called me and said, you aren't going to believe this. He proceeded to tell me the other guy had gone in the day before his huntwith a big saw and chopped down a half dozen trees letting them fall where they might. That besides trimming limbs etc. You could see for ever... but of course every deer in the county avoided the spot for the rest of the year.Len chewed the guy a new butt for screwing up my stand but the damage was done. I don't cut anything except hair.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 PM

I agree with david to a certain extent. I try not to change too much but I will cut a few shooting lanes. But by shooting lanes i mean cutting very few limbs and i will still have to squeeze shots through small holes. Thats the joy in hunting, i leave the chainsaw at home though.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Well I did some trimming, not as much as I thought I would have to do.

Here is a video looking out of my stand,

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Bowtech360/?action=view&current=103_1945.flv

Here is some pics

There is some from the trail to my treestand to show the shooting lanes. Great view but I hope the deer keep walking along the edge of that field!