Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away? >

Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away?

I am not getting into the dropaway vs wb debate but I prefer the newer style dropaways that attach to the up cable or the limb such as the limb driver does.

The biggest reason is they provide much more guidance than a traditional style dropaway with less torque on the cables and have no fletching contact.Best of all worlds imo.

I have many reason that (I) do not like the WB.

My rest is the Spot Hogg Whammy and I have only been shooting it about a month but I can tell you it's forgiveness rivals that of my target rest(spring steel),maybe even a little more forgiving.It has tall prongs,which the arrow sits down in,so the arrow will not fall off the rest.It is always up in the ready position,drops right at the fletching and then is right back up again for another shot.It is also a "soft" rest,which means it isn't too rigid,meaning,forgiving.It also has micro adjustments,which I like ALOT.

These things are as important if not more important to a hunter.Forgiveness matters at the moment of truth.Tunability matters when trying to tune broadheads.

I shot a 3-d course with it this weekend and shot a 305(30 target course counting 11's)from the hunter stake.I haven't even been shooting alot this year due to a bad shoulder so let me tell you,I was making a few bad shots but the rest helped.

http://www.watchtheoutdoors.com/showcase/hunting/spot_hogg.html

Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 PM

I use a drop away and love it.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the WB if for no other reason than I have one.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

I think we left out some pros for the WB
like no moving parts, springs, strings, not to mention timing issues and so on etc. and for me personally , some drop-aways seem to have an audible click. Plus i just don't like pulling the arrow back from the unlevel position a drop away requires. Just turn the knob you say to set the arrow in position?
Naa not for me, I can poke an arrow through the WB with my eyes closed and be on the string in a glance then shoot it upside down if I want to.
speed? it's been documented 2-3fps avg loss standard fletch, 0-2 with blazers.
Accuracy....... well here's a video some of you may have seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbm7y6S5OM

So which is better??? The one you prefer of course
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop Away , love my Limb/Driver
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the biscuit and I noticed a few warped vanes the other day, the same one on each arrow. I took a lighter to the warped vanes on either side and straightened em out, then turned the nocks so each vane was going through the biscuit the same way, instead of one going through the small opening. The warped ones were actually the ones going through the opening, and you would think there would be no clearance problems, but it was way worse there for some reason. Think its cause the rest is worn out around the opening. Shootin fine now though.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one bow with a WB, and one bow with a drop-away. I like them both for their own reasons, but I voted WB on the poll because I could only pick one......
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

WB for me...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a wb now and have for the last 3 years, thing work great and do not notice any noise from it. My only problem I have is there is some wear on my wraps that I don't care for. I looked at the RipCord fall away today, $89 seams like a typical price for archery equipment, the shop guy gave me a demonstration about why he likes it and I might try one out next year.