Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Someone help me out.... >

Someone help me out....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Someone help me out....

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Someone help me out....

I saw a thread here months ago about a terrain feature. It has a name,but I can't remember what it's called. An old friend of mine calls it a "plateau", but I know that's not right. It's a level area that follows the contour of the ridge, but it's about a third of the way up....... what's that called? The one I found yesterday while scouting is about 60 yards wide and it's about 1/3 of the way up the ridge. It definitely a major travel route.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Someone help me out....

A ledge?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Shelf?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's abench.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

It's abench.
That sounds right. Thanks, bud. It probably doesn't make much difference, but when I'm talking to someone about where I'm hunting, I want to at least "sound" like I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I found a sweet one yesterday! I picked my tree, cleared my shooting lanes and the next time I set foot in there will be opening day with a climber.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its called a bench.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

It's abench.
That sounds right. Thanks, bud. It probably doesn't make much difference, but when I'm talking to someone about where I'm hunting, I want to at least "sound" like I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, I found a sweet one yesterday! I picked my tree, cleared my shooting lanes and the next time I set foot in there will be opening day with a climber.
Sounds sweet, good luck. Its also a shelf, like Jeff said, just depends on were your from.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's abench.
As you take your watch on the lookout bridge on opening day, as that surface target comes into range, don't sound general quarters, just fire that missle at him and drop that "Skunk"! Crap, I can't believe I remember Naval jargon from 30 years ago!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

It's abench.
As you take your watch on the lookout bridge on opening day, as that surface target comes into range, don't sound general quarters, just fire that missle at him and drop that "Skunk"! Crap, I can't believe I remember Naval jargon from 30 years ago!
Not bad, AF Hunter!!! Not that many folks know that a tracked surface contact is referred to as a "skunk". Do ya remember why everyone on the bridge got panicky when a contact was "CBDR"? Maybe I'll be on the stand and have one or two bucks that are"CBDR". SWEET!

ORIGINAL: Gri22ly
Sounds sweet, good luck. Its also a shelf, like Jeff said, just depends on were your from.
GMMAT,
Sorry about that. I had no idea. I guess "shelf" actually makes more sense than bench, anyway.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chief, you gonna cause me to have a brain seizure!

Lets see what I remember:
Bogey - UI AC
Ditty Bag - the small white bag issued in boot camp to hang at the end of the bunk.
SWS - Shallow Water Sailor (Coast Guard)
Belay - disregard
BOSNIA - This is a family site find the definition elsewhere.
CIVLANT - Where people are stationed after they get out of the Navy.
Komshaw (SP?) - To get items needed outside the normal channels.

CBDR - was something like Continuous Bearing Decreasing Range??? (Or something like that)

We used to have a term for those "Navy" guys who had been in a long time and never been to sea.

Crap! that brings back a lot of old memories from the mid 70's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.