Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MO Season Opener... >

MO Season Opener...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MO Season Opener...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MO Season Opener...

There is a reason that MDC didn't inplement AR across the entire state. southern areas like yours do not require or need it. and no they will not be doin it anytime soon in the southern portion of mo right now.

as for harvest numbers the first counties in the pilot program did show aslight increase in the number of mature but that increase was paltry to increase in the doe harvest which was also a target for AR. Now dont get me wrong I know its mostly all about big "bucks" (pun intended)
but are you sure that most of your deer wont grow to reach AR orwas there a majority of the population that wasn't letting them get that big.
in my county this will be the first year for ar so we will see how it works on a larger spectrum cause i know its working on my property.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey im not sure why some states open their hunting season on weekedays all of ours start on saturdays except spring turkey which starts on wednesdays.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not sure why its really a big deal missouri bow season is a total of almost 4 months. and its not like it opens right in the middle of the rut. there are plenty of days to hunt. but thats just me.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

it's not a big deal... in the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much at all. I just like celebrating opening day and I get to celebrate it for less time if it starts on a Monday. Some people sure took this a lot more serious than I meant it...
Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

heck only 15 minutes away and across the river I have to wait two more weeks after you start hunting.. life is sooo rough..
Old 08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maryland does the same thing, I think its a waste of a good weekend
Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

Maryland does the same thing, I think its a waste of a good weekend
There! That's a good way to say it - waste of a good weekend. Can't go out and do stuff in the woods, it's too late. All you can do is stay at home and WAIT... ugh!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Opening Day on a Monday doesn't bother me, but I make my own schedule (sales) so I'll be in stand...I could see if I had a 9-5 I'd be mad too. I hunt private and public, but if I hunted public for opener I'd be happy it was a Monday if I had off.

As far as the AR...it's just a matter of time before it gets more support. As the bucks are allowed to grow and more hunters see and knock downbigger deer the support will be there. I'm a big fan, no matter what part of the state you hunt. I hunt in both north and central MO. I think if you ask guys in the more restrictive states now that their programs have some elapsed time they will definitely agree it's a beneficial restriction.

That's just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM

Well, I dont mind it starting on Monday,, my schedule is 4 days on 4 days off, and my first day off is Monday!!! So I will be off the first 4 days of season!!!

As far as ARs,, We dont have them yet in my county, but we've been doing restricted hunting on our property for several years now, and it does make a huge difference.. and from what Ive seen, I have several trail cameras out all the time, and get literally hundreds of pictures of bucks every fall, and in the 6 years or so of getting trail cam pics, Ive only got pics of 1 buck on the property that had reached the age of 3 1/2 years old and wouldnt meet antler restrictions, and he was a huge 20 inch wide 6 pointer, who appeared to have had one eyeguard broken off, so before it was broken it would have been 4 on one side.