Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frame of mind?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Frame of mind?

So it's Friday morning, and I'm sitting here in the office at work (don't tell my boss I'm on HNI) pondering the next several weeks of my life. See, next Thursday I am going in for an anterior lumbar interbody fusion. In laymens terms, I'm having my lower back fused due to a bothersome disc.

As I'm pondering what's going to occur this next week, several things cross my mind, and I'll list them in no specific order...

1. I AM HAVING MY BACK FUSED AND I'VE ONLY JUST TURNED 38!

2. This will certainly screw up any hopes of any early season hunting. But that's okay, because I know I need this surgery so that I can feel better and begin to move forward with my life.

3. The fact that I'll basically be on my back forthe first 2 weeks, probably feeling sorry for myself.

4. No messing around with the wifey!

But as I think about the days in the hospital and the weeks of recovery afterwards, I just know that I am going to immerse myself in deer hunting DVD's and deer hunting magazines to keep my mind in a positive place. Because I know when I'm thinking about deer hunting, I'm mentally in a good place.

I just reflect backonthose crisp cool mornings in the tree stand watching the forest come to life. Hearing a distant jay squawking at a squirrel collecting leaves for it's nest. Listening to a flock of geese as they navigate from one lake to another. Just the smell of the Fall foliage and the anticipation of a big deer being nearby. These are the things that I use to get me through some tough times.

This will be my "frame of mind" until I can get back to what I love most, deer hunting.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Frame of mind?

mofireman...good luck w/ the fusing....as you stated, its to make things better for the rest of your life. Take that time to watch videos, read your fav hunting writer and spend time w/ the fam. In no time you'll be back up and around to the point you'll have to slow down to do those things...again...good luck, we'll be thinking of you.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry 'bout the hunting, I'll take care of that.

As far as #4 goes, send pics and we'll negotiate.

Good luck with the surgery and keep me informed. We'll put you in our prayers.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

mo---DO NOT worry about it. I work with two guys that have had back fusions(one did it in his early 30's, the other his early 20's from a football injury)....they both are doing great! You will be just fine. You are going to be thankful you had the surgery when your pain decreases and your become more mobile. Best of luck to you!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all! VaShadow: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sure hope this gives me some relief. I'm going to cross my fingers and tape themtogether when I gothrough the surgery. J/K!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe get about 14-15 hunting books and videos ....but for real, maybe start teaching yourself something new about hunting when you are laid out....if you feel you need to get better at topo maps, maybe read a book or two on that combined with some online programs...GPS. You get the idea. Maybe tracking deer. Just some ideas. I remember when I was hurt and playing competitive sports all the way up until I was 30, I would find something that I needed to learn and would study the crap out of it, thereby learning while I was hurt and keeping my mind focused off the injury.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck man, im sure everything will turn out great!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks alot guys. Great idea VaShadow about picking a couple topics about hunting and really focusing on learning as much as I can about them. That could be very beneficial.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Its called a laptop and wireless internet in the hospital, but if you by chance want some old hunting magazines send me a PM with your address. I have been getting hunting mags in the mail since I was 4
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

I'll tell you what, I may take you up on it. Let me see what I can find locally to tide me over first.

Thanks