Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is killing a buck so important? >

Why is killing a buck so important?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is killing a buck so important?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why is killing a buck so important?

I would rather hunt the dominant doe in a herd. Now there is a challange, with a buck on the other hand wait till the rut and wait for them to get stupid.

Besides that no matter how long I cook the antlers they are still too tough to eat and taste like crap anyway.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

For me its a couple of reasons. A real fascination with big bucks. And, the fact that I am very fortunate to hunt where there are a lot of them. If I were to shoot the first decent buck (120" +)to come by I would usually be done the first couple of times out. (limited tags). If a 150"+ comes by the first day I would gladly end the season early. Waiting for "trophies" gives me a lot more opportunity to hunt. Some years that means eating tag soup and I'm fine with that. I still have a lot of fun and enjoy taking a few does.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many good points above. I also would like to add that even though I hunt for the meat and a doe is just as good if not better tasting than a old buck, I think when you do have that monster walk by the rarity of seeing that big boy gets the blood boiling. When I'm hunting, my heart starts pounding no matter what deer walks into range. But let a huge one walk in and I'd bet if someone was sitting next to me, they could probably hear my heart racing. But I do know several trophy hunters who do not hunt for the meat, but measure their manliness by the size of the rack they can put on the wall. I do not understand it personally, but that's their legal right.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Kanga

I would rather hunt the dominant doe in a herd. Now there is a challange, with a buck on the other hand wait till the rut and wait for them to get stupid.

Besides that no matter how long I cook the antlers they are still too tough to eat and taste like crap anyway.
So if the dominant doe and buck in your area, happen to run by at the same time, your're going to shoot the doe
Talk is cheap gentlemen, talk is cheap.

Everyone will feel way better, jut let it out.

It's all about the antlers[8D]
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

So if the dominant doe and buck in your area, happen to run by at the same time, your're going to shoot the doe
Too right I am theyarebetter eating than nasty old bucks.

If the next guy needs a set of antlers to prove he has a pair then so be it.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

People, espeicailly non-hunters, judge your skill by how big of a buck you shoot. To many, a spike buck is better han a doe.

In my case, i try to take as many does as i can. I have a large family with three (almost 4) teenage boys. The meat never makes it a full year. But yes, i also try to target the largest buck i can. Why? Becasue people don't play sports to lose
Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Kanga

Too right I am theyarebetter eating than nasty old bucks.

If the next guy needs a set of antlers to prove he has a pair then so be it.
I just wish we could have a camera in a tree when it happens Because talk is cheap
Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

It wont bother me in the slightest if you put a camera in a tree or not.

The truth to the matter is I will kill a doe over a buck.

I have probably killed more animals in my life than most of the other forum members put together.

For 10 years I was a Pro Roo shooter taking 100 roos a night 7 nights a week, 1 week endevery 3 months we would take offto go into townto let loose.

I had 4 properties I shot the smallest being 25k acres.

I can not even begin to count the pigs, foxes, rabbits, buffalo or deer that I have taken.

I dont need antlers to prove I have a pair
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does one determine what the dominant doe in the area looks like?

Does she carry a wallet that says "bad mf!" on it?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

How does one determine what the dominant doe in the area looks like?

Does she carry a wallet that says "bad mf!" on it?
That's funny....but the dominant doe is something pretty easily determined where I hunt. I see the same ones a few times each/year. They ARE the bad mf's....and the others know it. They don't give her ANY grief.

Quick Reply: Why is killing a buck so important?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.